Follow-up Using a lawn roller

Speaking of all the rainy weather in the North East, we had 6.7 inches of rain in 2 days where I live.

So I rented** the lawn roller that I had asked about here a year ago, and rolled my little lawn. **(only 8 dollars for a day)

Half full of water, it didn't accomplish anything.

But full full, it worked great.

It got rid of all the small bumps in the lawn and most of the medium sized ones. (What I would call large arent' really bumps. They are rises that span 4 feet or more, and it would take a much bigger weight to get rid of them. But they have never bothered me.)

Ever since we discussed this, I've been waiting for a very wet day. This was the day.

--The only problem is that the rain overwhelmed the sump pump, and even though it was running constantly, the water flooded the laundry room and the club room, maybe a quarter to a half inch deep.

I'm going to put a sill in between the two rooms, or maybe a 4 inch high cement ring around the sump. Any suggestions? Hmmm, the ring would be bad because it would keep floods from other sources from going into the sump and being pumped out. ??

(Paul, it's a good thing I was home last weekend and not in NY. I hear you got a lot of rain too. :) )

mm

Not to mention that adding 4" to your sump would only increase it' capacity by 12-15%. That much water would be removed by a pump in les than a minute. You answered your own question- the pump wa overwhelmed- get a larger sump pump or an auxiliary pump you could dro in when the occasion arises. It's unlikely we'll get 6.7 inches again i the next fifty or so year

-- hwm5411

this thread:

hwm54112