Follow-up on motor brushes

Success.
Well Home Depot has nothing in its webpage under motor brush or brush motor, and under brush, it has 52 brushes, but all for painting and so forth. It also has nothing at the local store, even in the area with partitioned boxes of specialty screws.
Lowe's has only one item in the online catalog, a set of brushes for a Dremel too;. The closest store is about 5 miles and so I went to the local hardware store first.
And the one remaining hardware store on my local shopping street has, in its stack of partitioned boxes of specialty screws etc. 3 whole boxes of brushes, with about 16 sizes in each box. So about 48 different sizes! 48!!! Maybe more.
Thanks, Edwin.
So even though I only went to look, until I can take apart teh motor, I bought a pair. 1/4x1/4x1/2"L, but a little longer than that because there is a circular stub sticking out, around which goes a spring.
They also had 1/8" longer, which would correspond to the length I was told, but maybe it would be too long with its round thing. Given that the first brushes lasted 14 years, I think the new ones will last 11 years even if I got brushes that are shorter than they should be. And frankly, though there is nothing much wrong now with my 95 LeBaron, I don't expect the car to last 11 more years. (I always plan to keep my car for 20 years, but I've never made it past 7! (total, 14 years old.)
And I can probably go exchange them at the last minute anyhow, once I open the thing. There were several more pairs of each length.
But I bought now on the wierd possibility they could sell every brush my size before I get back there. Or get rid of brushes when they rearrange their space, as they have a couple times in the last couple years (frankly, selling less hardware, and more space for garden supplies, or renting power equipment, small and big), or even go out of business (I sure hope not.)
$3.71 each. Complete with the necessary braided wire coming out of the tail end, and a spring around that (which I will probably remove, because this motor has its own springs)
Let's hear it for real hardware stores, instead of home improvement centers.

amen. BTW Jandorf is the name that comes to mind that supplies most of the hdwe. stores with their motor brush assortments, but their web site is useless when trying to find a catalog page with dimensions (in case they make something that you can use but your local store doesn't stock.)
A while back I seemed to come across nonfunctional Stewart-Warner "pulse drive" tach senders every so often, my then-local hardware store probably was very confused as to why I kept coming in and buying the same part number brush over and over again :) I was simply rewiring them (the wire was regular old 16/3 extension cord wire) and putting new brushes in them and selling them to people with old Studebaker Hawks whose tachs didn't work...
nate
brushes are by design soft and can be easily filed to change length or width. i have done this in the past with great success
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 20:26:55 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Good point. Just get a pair that is a little big and use some 150 grit trimite paper on a flat surface to hone them down to size.
mm wrote:

I have made my own brushes with brush stock.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

On 9/30/2008 5:35 AM Blattus Slafaly spake thus:

The Total DIY Guy in me says "kewl". But where do you get this stuff? Is it still available, or is this something that came from some well-stocked electrical parts store of yore?

Carbon rods are available at any welding supply store. Theater supply stores used to stock electrodes for carbon arc lamps. And there are specialty firms that stock the high current copper-carbon brushes used in starters and generators HTH
Joe
Joe wrote:

The center pole of a used carbon zinc AA, C, and D battery.
-- larry/dallas
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 08:35:17 -0400, Blattus Slafaly

Sounds good if I have to, but how could I attach the braided copper wire that these brushes have?
Or otherwise connect the brushes to whatever they're connected to?
mm wrote:

File a groove around the back end of the carbon, wrap end of braid in the groove and "tin" the braid. It gets real snug when it cools.
Or drill a small hole and pin the braid in it.
You can actually plate copper to the end stuck in copper sulfate with a piece of copper and power supply, but that's too much trouble...
-- larry/dallas

Or, just buy a larger brush and cut it down. Years ago I did a lot of electric motor repair. Made a miniature table saw with a sewing machine motor and a thin abrasive cut off wheel. Had a small guide made out of aluminum angle. Cut many brushes on it.
Al

Wow. Sounds good.

Good idea number 2.

Yeah.