FOLLOW UP: Leak in water service lateral

I found the leak, it's done. But not without weird things:

  1. The 1" PVC pipe I initially found that wasn't leaking turned out to be part of the sprinkler irrigation system. The 1" PVC main was directly underneath it, about 10" deeper.

  1. Speedy Jim was right: the leak was at the coupling/adaper between the 1" PVC pipe from the meter, to where it connects to the 3/4" copper pipe that goes into the house. This coupling was a good 15 feet away from the shut-off valve.

  2. Get this: the leak occurred in the PVC adapter, a 1" inch female slip fitting that reduces to a 3/4" female NPT, which screws onto the copper pipe. In the middle of the adapter, there's a 1/"-wide hex-ring molded into the fitting. The leak was a hairline fracture that spanned 3 flats of the hex-ring, but perfectly centered around the circumference. Odd, that, I think.

Anyway, after LOTS of digging, tearing up landscape timbers and brick patio, and a few swear words, the leak appears to be fixed.

Thanks heap for all replies,

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx