Follow-up and apology on OT Will search engines find my webpage?

OT

> >Yesterday I found out when he mailed me a glossy advertisement for the >service deparatment that the dealer where I bought a used car 6 months >ago made up a webpage with my first and last name as part of the url. >And my home address on the page. > >I've gone to a lot of trouble to keep my home address out of the phone >book and off the web. > >My name is in the high level domain area, between www and .com. > >Do you think search engines will find it? So far I think they >haven't.

I'm embarrassed to say that I forgot** that the ad they mailed me contained the password for the webpage, so IIUC that means even if google comes up with the webpage, it wlll still require a password, which no one else will have. I suppose that makes it safe for me.

I apologize, and I hope you all don't feel I wasted too much of your time.

**I only used the password once, then kept looking back at the page for 3 days. I don't think I would have forgotten about the password 10 years ago.
Reply to
micky

In addition to passwords, a webmaster can tell search engines to *not* crawl certain web pages via a file called robots.txt

If the dealer's webmaster has done this properly, that may be why you haven't seen your page show up in Google.

See

Reed