foil faced structural foam board

Not sure if this is the correct term, but can foil faced structural foam board be used as floor underlayment?
Present subfloor is 3/4" plywood. I'd like to put a layer of the foil faced board on top and then lay down cement board and finally ceramic tile.
Why the foil faced board? I'd like to use it in between radiant tubing loops.
If I can use foil faced board, I can keep the finished profile of the floor to a minimum.

Franz Fripplfrappl

No its to soft, the tube should go under the joists and foamboard under the tube, have you ever felt foamboard, it will compact and squeak and be a mess. Are you on a slab, then radiant will not work well as you will heat the slab and loose alot of the heat. Foamboard is put under concrete to insulate against heat loss,
On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 11:38:01 -0700, ransley wrote:

Thanks. This is what I need to know.

Franz Fripplfrappl

The foil is useless if there's no air space. Use Wedi board. I think I mentioned that before in reply to one of your posts.
On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 13:06:03 -0700, RicodJour wrote:

Thanks. I'll look at that. I may have missed that one from before.

Franz Fripplfrappl

What?! You mean you're not printing out my replies and placing them in a three ring binder? You wound me, sir! ;)
Seriously, the Wedi board is some good stuff. First time I used it I was sold. It's so easy to cut it makes cutting drywall seem like a chore. It adds some insulation value, it's a helluva lot lighter and easier to carry up a flight of stairs - you can carry six sheets at a time, try that with cement backer board.
On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 18:20:16 -0700, RicodJour wrote:

I have printed out all your posts and they are at the bookbinders shop where they will be bound with gilded edges and fine Moroccan leather. Haven't yet decided on how to emboss the title on the spine. I see there's a message on voice mail asking which color of leather.
Is Wedi board strong enough as a replacement for drywall? I do favor light loads up stairs.

Franz Fripplfrappl

If it's not too much to ask, and since I am the copyright holder, would you please send me my copy for review? Actually, send two, I'll mark one up with red ink and send it back to you...oh, and enclose a SASE. ;)

Yep. I think that a tiled bathroom wall takes less abuse than most walls in hallways and such, so the stuff is plenty strong. They also make it in thicker sheets if needed.
I just found out two days ago that one of my local, and much loathed, hardware/plumbing supply places is the new distributor for Wedi. It seems that they'll make shapes for you as well. One piece shower pans, curved walls, etc.
Wedi has pitiful market coverage in the US. Even Google searches turns up all sorts of things with little to do with it. It seems there is no US web site, just some pages on the German web site: http://www.wedi.de/usa/applications/applications.php /
On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 10:34:17 -0700, RicodJour wrote:

Will do.
When I have more time, I'm thinking of writing the screenplay.
The story line will be of an old blind carpenter who picked up his hammer and saw.