foggy headlights

Page 3 of 3
On Fri, 04 May 2012 07:27:32 -0700, Ron wrote:

I do check them once in a while to make sure they're not fouled / burned / cracked etc. and until there's evidence (visual or otherwise) that there's a problem, there seems little point in replacing them.
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
✖

I see broken down cars along the roads here, all the time (usually a half dozen in the 75mi between here and "home"). Of course, these cars wouldn't be along the side of the road in the North, rather the junk yard, turning back to dust. ;-)
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 03 May 2012 22:41:25 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Most of them don't make it to the junk yard around here - the population density's really low and many people have lots of space to play with, so they just end up rusting away in fields, tucked away behind buildings etc. :-)
Of course rising scrap metal prices have changed that a bit; I do see less than I did 5 years ago, but there's still a lot out there.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 03 May 2012 00:22:55 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

without ever taking a cover off the engine or replacing any engine internal parts. Try that with a '69 Chevy, or a 55 VW, or a 61 MG - - choose your own poison. And I have owned several vehicles over the last 20 years where I never had to replace so much as ONE headlight bulb, or even tail or signal lamp bulb - getting rid of the vehicles at 12 and 18 years of age with over 240,000km on them. That NEVER happened years ago, Even without DRLs, headlights quite commonly needed replacement every 2 years or so. Tail and signal bulbs went like flashbulbs. Signal flashers were a commonly replaced item - when is the last time you had to go trying to find where the flasher is hidden on a current production vehicle??
And signal self cancellers? Used to have to pop the steering wheel off to replace the little springs, or the plastic parts, every couple of years. As well as the little contact under the wheel that connected the horn button to the wire in the steering column to the horn.
And what about exhausts? Used to have to change the muffler and tail pipe every year and a half, more or less. Now most last the life of the car.
Shock absorbers were generally good for about 25,000 miles or 3 years - today MOST last well over 60,000 miles, and many the life of the car.
A ten year old car was JUNK back in the sixties and seventies, and you only considered a car with 100,000 miles on it if you had no money and didn't plan on going far from home.
There used to be a service station on every corner - and muffler shops by the dozen, and transmission shops were always busy. Today you can usually get your car fixed the next day at just about any dealership or independent garage instead of having to book a week or more in advance - and that's with a lot more cars - a lot more OLDER cars, and a lot less repair shops.
They sure don't make 'em like they used to - THANK GOODNESS.
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 28, 5:34 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Herb Eneva) wrote:

There are several restoration kits available and I was getting ready to buy one last year for our '99 Camry. But before I did, I came across a can of auto polishing compound on the shelf and decided to try it. The lenses were fogged so much you could barley see the bulb inside the housing. With about 20 minutes of serious elbow grease (the sweaty kind) on each lens they looked as good as new.
Note I said "Polishing Compound" not "Rubbing Compound" which is a little coarser. Rubbing Compound might work too but that is not what I usedl.
RonB
Add pictures here
✖