foggy headlights

I never had much of a problem with glass lenses. Put many miles on vehicles with E-code headlights (basically the same thing as a sealed beam assembly, but with European beam pattern and a replaceable H4 or H1 bulb instead of the unitized halogen capsule.) Some of those lights have outlasted the vehicles on which they were first installed.

I have had to replace at least one composite headlight due to fogging and finally bad condensation inside the reflector.

I can't remember ever having a physically broken headlight...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Hella and Cibie headlights went from car to car untill I bought a car with Quads that the big ones didn't fit - lead crystal lens on the Z-Beams.

On my '67 Peugeot I shortened the car by about 10 inches and swayed the front over by 4 inches and didn't crack the headlights (glass composite headlamps) - thankfully since they were worth as much as I paid for the car. (by the way, we FIXED that car without replacing any body panels - just bumper, grille, and battery. - good panel-beaters)

Reply to
clare

Nate Nagel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news7.newsguy.com:

SOME plastics are more forgiving. Lexan(polycarbonate) is one of those,and it's what's used for most headlight lenses. Other plastics get brittle with age or sun exposure.

some folks don't know enough to not follow semi-trucks on the highways. they throw stones.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:XnsA04ADE3E31A13jyaniklocalnetcom@216.168.3.44:

Which is what I said back on April 28th.

But not enough to matter. Other front-end lenses tend to be made of acrylic.

Reply to
Tegger

I do check them once in a while to make sure they're not fouled / burned / cracked etc. and until there's evidence (visual or otherwise) that there's a problem, there seems little point in replacing them.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson