Fogger in the attic - is that OK?

I have a problem with ants coming from the attic, it seems they are coming from the outside flower bed and up the gutter and somewhere got in through the fascia into the attic and down some walls. Using Terro provided some control in some spots but they kept coming.

I am going to spray Termidor outside the wall to stop further intrusion, but was wondering about the population up in the attic, can I get one of those Raid Fogger:

and throw it into the attic? I am concerned with the fumes coming through the ceiling at spots that are not sealed such as ceiling lights, AC vents covers, attic hatches etc...those are closed off but not air tight...just not sure if there should be big concerns. The instructions say you can air it out two hours later if applied to a room, but for an attic it has to naturally air out via the vents.

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

What kind of vents do you have in the attic? Can you put a mount a fan, like a window fan, near one or more vents to exhaust the air?

Open the windows in any rooms that the fog may have seeped into, turn on the fans, and let the air flow clear the air.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If the fogger will kill ants it will be ok. Just get family and pets out, seal any open food stuffs in garbage bags for half a day or so. Extinguish any pilot lights and let 'er rip. You really should control those little buggers before they make their way into/onto your home in the future.

Reply to
Meat Plow

If possible, close up all the windows in the house except one. Install a simple box fan pulling air INTO the house. The positive pressure inside will keep the chemicals from drifting in thru any leaks. Let this run for a few hours 'till everything upstairs has settled, then remove the fan & close the window.

Reply to
Anonymous

It'll be fine. if your overly concerned, then open a couple windows.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I've used these foggers in the house and in the crawlspace under the house. You can't ust "throw" it into the attic, it must be placed upright. I do mine on a day when we are going to be away for the day, at least 6 or more hours. That gives it lots of time to clear out of the air. Since the attic is not living space I would not be overly concerned about it airing out. If you have an access to the attic from the oitside such as a hatch of some sort the natural convection this time of year will provide decent air flow up into the attic and out the vents.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

wrote: ...

I like that suggestion .

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The ants are starting (nesting?) in flower beds then traveling up the side of the house getting into the attic then finding their way inside? Just treat the starting point and nothing else would be needed. The ants finding their way inside are just foraging for food. The termidor is a good long term treatment for all ant species and if you did nothing but that you would get rid of the activity just not instantly. If you decide to use a fogger in the attic, you can't throw it up there it will need to be placed upright...only use one, and keep it at least 6 feet from any pilot lights. Chances are the fogger would be a waste even if the ants were nesting in the attic, since they would probably be under the insulation away from where the "fog" would be.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

That's a great idea. Thanks!

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Ants would nest in the attic only if it is damp. You might have a leak and rotting wood somewhere.

Reply to
Rick

I distinctly remember an experiment on TV's Mythbusters. They were checking out a newspaper report that a family had set of one too many fogger bombs inside the house. The gas buildup ignited and blew up the house.. It took Mythbusters quite a few tries but the test house (a real building) did eventually blow up. The "bomb" does use ignition to generate the fumes. In that case you should perhaps take the extra precaution that the bomb be placed inside a fireproof metal container before leaving it to fumigate your attic.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Dia 's Muire duit

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

First off, I did not post the section that is quoted above. Second, The statement that The "bomb" does use ignition to generate the fumes. is not accurate. The bug bomb is just an aerosol dispenser and has no ignition source of its own. Third, the Mythbusters experiment grossly overused the bombs and had to supply an intentional ignition source. Since the explosion is caused by the gases in the air, the use of a "fireproff metal container makes no sense at all.

People who do not read and follow the directions are setting themselves up for one of those infamous Darwin Awards.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Sorry your name was still attached to the quote, that was my error. However my original quote did indicate that the original quote was from PaPa not from you. Somehow by the time it got re-quoted by you it did appear that I was quoting you. Sorry for my error that started that error.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Same here. I was making a general statement, not directed to any specific person. I am always impressed by any possible source of a house fire. Woodframe built houses do burn at the slightest provocation. Smoldering BBQ charcoals after the party is over, candlelit dinners, tossed live cigarette stubs. Awarness and a little preventive measure here and there is a good habit to acquire.

Reply to
PaPaPeng