Fog Horn when turning on faucet or flushing toilets

Recently we have been having a fog horn noise whenever we turn on a faucet or flush toilets. Any suggestions as to what could cause this to happen and how to stop it. This seems to happen every year and continues for about a week or two, but this time it is continuing to happen. It has been doing this for about 1 month. The fog horn noise will go for about 1 minute and then stop and it is not everytime but most of the time. Thank

Reply to
trax

Does it occur when you use both hot and cold water, only one of them, where is it coming from? Did you try turning off the water for the whole house and then opening it again, etc. More detective work on your part would make it more likely for you to get a sensible answer.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Since it happens with any flow, I suspect the main line Could be the washer in the main vale. Try closing it, then opening it. If a well, other factors may come in. tank bladder. check valve.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The noise is not coming from the pressure regulator, is it?? You probably have one, and some are famous for making noise. They vibrate depending upon the back pressure, and that varies due to the water heater temperature/pressure. If so, try increasing the pressure by tightening the adjustment screw a turn or so.

Reply to
Ken

Yes, the noise occurs with both hot and cold water. I will try turning off the water for the whole house and then opening it again and give you the results. Thanks for your input.

Reply to
trax

Thank you for your response. I don't believe the noise is coming from the pressure regulator. I will try increasing the pressure by tightening the adjustment screw a turn. Also, every year around June the water company opens up a water source (located behind my property line) to release water. I've asked some of the neighbors if they were having this noise. They are not......

Reply to
trax