Foam Sealer

I have come here before for helpful info.... so what my question now is... I had about a year ago used a foam that tuned beige in color between the end of a kitchen counter that did not meet the wall. I was new at using this & did not know that it was going to harden like a rock. What I want to know is... how would I be able to remove it? I pressed the lever of the foam can lightly & while holding it brought the can down to the floor while pressing the lever & enough to get the foam to be about an in=E7h or so thick. Thanks for any info. ..Mindy

Reply to
.-.MINDY.-.

The true foam sealant is not rock-like at all. Hard to the touch, yes, but easy enough to trim with a knife. Did you use a different product? If you find it online (or at the store where you bought it), you will get better advice.

Reply to
Mamba

Expanding foam is a polyisocyanurate foam, not caulking, and it does get rather hard. It also is not UV stable and that's why it turns color. You can't use caulk in a gap that large. You need to cut a piece of wood to fit int he gap or use some trim to cover it.

The best way to remove the foam is to dig it out with a chisel or screwdriver - really any tool will do. Use a sharp tool to clean up the edges. You'll find out that the stuff is pretty tenacious and won't let go easily. Take your time.

RicodJour

It skins over with a hard surface. It can be cut with a hacksaw blade. Don't know what kind of a space you need to doctor up. You might be able to cover it with a strip of wood or metal and have it look half decent. If not, as Ricodjour suggests, clean it out and cut a strip to fit.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Thanks for the responses! I have not touched anything as of yet... with what I plugged the opening up with... & being that one side touches a white sheet rock wall & the other side a light wood grain counter that I put together. Would it be that I would use an electric sander to just file it? Thanks! Mindy

Reply to
.-.MINDY.-.

Whether this is removed or not... how long will it last? Thanks! ..Mindy

Reply to
.-.MINDY.-.