foam for edge of flapper door

I'm looking for some sort of foam or sheet rubber material about 0.09 inches thick to use as replacement for the original foam edge seal for a car AC duct flapper door. The original is a piece of foam shaped like an oval, about 3x5 inches and it's sandwiched between two sheets of metal that leave about 3/8" of foam sticking out. It has to be soft enough to conform when the door closes but strong enough to hold up for years of cycles. I've been googling but have not been able to find anything that seems suitable.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Johnstone Supply sells foam tape. You may be able to use it for your application. I use it all the time for things like gaskets and seals. Sometimes I have to use more than one layer and if I'm concerned about it falling off, I'll apply some of the rubber cement made for the foam insulation.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You can go to Lowes or HD and go into the weatherstripping aisle. They usually have a bunch of weatherstripping for doors and windows in a bunch of sizes with self-adhesive tape. And you can cut it to whatever thickness or shape you want. Frost King makes a lot of that stuff.

Reply to
Mike rock

Just to be sure--- Have you called a dealer to see if they have it as a stock part? . . .checked a make/model-specific forum to see what others have done to theirs?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I've used camper shell tape for such applications before.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Thanks for the suggestions but to clarify, it's not just a piece of foam around the edge, it's a oval sheet of foam sandwiched between to steel plates and the whole thing forms the duct door that rotates ninety degrees to open and close.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Dealer or junkyard, and get the actual correct part? Or dealer to get the part number, and searching online?

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

It's for a 69 Pontiac. I don't think they still make the part. The old one is still usable but I was hoping to freshen it up while things are apart.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

If this is for a Lemans/GTO, 68-72 off any GM the same size would likely fit. If full size, the span is even longer- 65-72, IIRC. If it was a popular model, there are dozens of NOS and repro companies out there. I'd also ask over in the rec.autos.* groups. Just out of curiosity, what model?

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

It's a firebird

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I know the gen-I F bodies shared some parts with other small GMs, but never had need to learn exactly what. However, the early Camaros (same basic car) have a huge hot-rodder following, and lots of vendors of repro and NOS parts. I'd do a Google for 67-69 Camaro restoration parts....

Heck, you got me curious.... (Googles)

14,600 hits. Let's try Firebird- only 5650.

One of them probably has rebuild kits for the under-dash box and ducts and such.

-- aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers