FM Radio Antenna

Page 1 of 3
My dad needs a GOOD indoor OR outdoor FM radio antenna to recieve the Gospel station he likes. It comes in clear in the car even in the garage but no luck in the house. Have tried the wire antenna,35 dollar radioshack indoor antenna,rabbitears,rooftop TV antenna,ect. He is trying to get it on his Fisher Reciever...He used to get a similar station on satellite but it is no longer available.Southern gospel stations are hard to come by here in Maine...LOL...There is only one....
Any thoughts or ideas????
benick wrote:

Hi, If it does not do well with those antennas you tried(they are some what directional), I think something wrong with the receiver. Were you connecting antenna lead correctly.(300 Ohm twin lead or 75 Ohm coax)

I agree. Just for the hell of it, I'd take the receiver outside, connect it 20-30 feet from the house or other obstructions, and see if any of those antennas works. If not, it's the receiver.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Hi, Broadside of antenna shoud point to the station. My Yamaha AV receiver does not even has an antenna but it picks up all local FM stations with full quieting.
benick wrote:

My father had real good luck with the omnidirectional FM roof antenna RS sells. After the big storm (Rita)bent the guyed mast that had it up 25 feet, he remounted it on the unbent section that was only 12 feet up, and it actually worked better.
Just for laughs, I'd try another receiver as well. The Fisher (haven't seen them in years) is likely old enough that some components may be getting marginal. Thrift stores often have 5 year old quite competent receivers for 10 bucks or so, now that everyone is switching to ipods and such. Or brand new amazingly good entry-level receivers can be had at most big-box stores for around $100.
-- aem sends...

Thrift store receiver for the OP's dad? No no no....that's unholy. Get him something decent.
http://nadelectronics.com/products/av-receivers
Doesn't have to be their top of the line, but not some piece of crap from Wal Mart.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

'Thrift Store' /= 'Walmart'. Over the last ten years, I have found in thrift stores, trashpicked, or garage sale purchased around a dozen actual hi-fi geek receivers, that I either cleaned up and gave away, or even sold at my own garage sales for a nice profit. The Sherwood 5.1 A/V receiver in the other living room here was trashpicked, and it drives my vintage large advents just fine. Now that everyone wants baby stereos, the old geek full-size stuff, especially if it is black in color, goes for next to nothing, if you have to pay at all. A little windex, a little tuner cleaner, and it usually works just fine. 5 years old does not mean it is junk.
-- aem sends...

You mean the car radio when it is in the garage? Car radios work better than home radios, so don't expect to duplicate their reception.
If it is really God's word, it should come in no matter how bad the antenna is.
And as someone with about 20 radios trying to get two out-of-town stations in every room, I've found there is little correlation between the brand or price of a radio and its reception.

I have an FM transmitter on the tape out of my main receiver, and just set the other radios to 88.1. Whatever I'm listening to in the living room is available in the bedroom, basement and garage.

That sounds like a very good idea. Can you give me some guidance on what to get, where to get it for the transmitter?
wrote in message

USR6003 (Amazon.com product link shortened)
I picked it up at a thrift shop for $6.
"Bob F" ...

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Too bad they don't sell this anymore. Tomes

That's ok. I just wanted to know what sort of thing he was using. Maaybe I'll find it used too, or they'll make something else that is similar.
I've also been using cordless speakers connected to my PC. I bought two sets and only use one speaker in each of 4 places. I don't care about stereo because I listen to a lot of talk (and I have no space in any of the rooms for two speakers.) It worked fine for a couple years but I think the transmitter is failing. I'll have to see if the one from the other set works better.
But I like this FM transmitter thing because I have an FM radio in 6 rooms counting the bathroom and the basement, and I can put one back in the laundry room too. And outdoors.
I'm in no hurry. I have had my car for 6 years now and usually only keep them for 7. It had no cup holder, and I really needed one, and I finally managed to put in a nice looking and nice working one. And somehow it doesn't bother me that I didn't have one for 6 of the 7 years. All that seems to matter is that it came out nice.

They make little transmitters for ipods, although most may not have much range.

Bob F wrote:

Operates on 900 MHz frequency ^^^^^^^ That is not an FM transmitter.
The unit shown requires a transmitter AND a 900MHz receiver.
--

I kill all Google Group posts, you can too.
Take back Usenet <--> http://improve-usenet.org

It is if its frequency modulated. Just because its not on the FM broadcast band does not mean its not FM.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH

Wrong. It is a transmiter and a separate 900 MHz receiver, which contains an FM transmitter, which transmits to every FM receiver within maybe 50 feet. The receiver/FM transmitter end also has RCA outputs for a line level input to a receiver or amp.
[snip]

It SHOULD. That reminds me of my "deity detector", which is just a little red LED that isn't connected to anything. An all-powerful being has enough power to light it anyway. I've had it for 4 years and it hasn't lit yet.
[snip]
--
"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."

To clarify, what I meant was that car radios work better than home radios because they are in the car, whose metal body helps out the radios antenna, aiui. I think my friend confirmed this, and maybe sci.electronics.repair . I'm not sure what happens in cars with plastic bodies.

car radios have better designs so that poor reception is unlikely.
so put the car radio indoors on a dc adapter and install whatever you want for the antenna,