Fly problem

Hi all:

I know they bother all of us at the worst times! Like when your having a BBQ and there buzzing around the table landing on your food. Anybody know if those propane tanks that emit some kind of oxygen work for flies? I had a major problem with them at my last house and while its not so bad at my new house, there still driving me nuts. Our local Costco sells the unit without the tank. Should I try it??

Any tricks I can try?

Thanks

Reply to
SEPrince1

:) I know they bother all of us at the worst times! Like when your having a BBQ :) and there buzzing around the table landing on your food. Anybody know if those :) propane tanks that emit some kind of oxygen work for flies? I had a major :) problem with them at my last house and while its not so bad at my new house, :) there still driving me nuts. Our local Costco sells the unit without the tank. :) Should I try it??

The machines that work on propane are emitting carbon dioxide that attract different biting flies. for normal flies you probably will be better off treating the area you are in with a pyrethroid insecticide...permethrin will probably be the easiest to find in an apllication method easily done by using a garden hose attatchment.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Reply to
Lar

Well, just last night on the local news they showed a simple trick that is supposed to reduce the fly problem. They said that if you fill a plastic freezer bag about

1/3 full of water, then tie a string around the top and place it near the food it will help keep off flies. They showed some water bags hanging from something over head, but from what they said you can just put it on the table. I have no idea if this will really work, but that is what they reported. I don't see that it would be a major expense to try it out.

Bill Gill

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
T.P.

There is a fruit stand that I frequent. They hang clear plastic bags filled

2/3 with water. I have done it for parties. Looks weird but it works
Reply to
SQLit

How does that work? Just plastic bags hanging with water? Or am I missing some context in the thread?

Reply to
Adam Russell

I saw a more complete story about it on the local news yesterday. The OSU Extension Service says that it looks to a fly like a wasp nest, and wasps are enemies to flies. Somebody else also said he heard that a penny in the bag will make it work even better.

Bill Gill

Reply to
Bill