Flushing downstairs causes dripping upstairs?

Hi All,

I am in a new homeowner and I am greatly confused and worried about a dripping noise that I am hearing. I live in a 2 story home, with the water heater/washer/dryer located upstairs.

After flushing any toilet, whether it be upstairs, or downstairs I am hearing a dripping/tapping noise(like water being dripped onto wood) from inside the upstairs wall. This dripping sound persists for 15 seconds until the toilet is filled up and then stops until the next time the toilet is flushed. To my knowledge, this dripping sound does occur when I am taking a shower or running the faucet, only when flushing the toilet.

Something I thought this may have been related to was a gurgling sound I heard in my washer's drain after turning on the central air for the first time(in 4 or 5 months).

Any idea?

thanks in advance

Reply to
Johndagolfer

mighgt be pipes moving rather than drip.

if any pipes are accesible in basement or wherever. try holding them while someone flushes, and see if noise disappears

if you had a home inspection cll the inspector they should give you a free opinion. if home is brand new notify builder in writing registered mail

Reply to
hallerb

If this is a new(er) house with plastic waste piping, dripping noises are quite common and can be heard from afar.

The utilities being on the 2nd floor may be a clue. Perhaps the sudden drop in pressure caused when the toilet tank refills is triggering some discharge on the 2nd floor into the waste piping. For example, the water heater relief valve may open or the washing machine solenoid valve may briefly lose its closed position seal.

Careful listening around those appliances while someone flushes may give a hint. Or, you could close supply valves to each and see if the dtrip still occurs.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

So is this dripping outside the pipe or within?

Reply to
Johndagolfer

Dripping inside the pipe, if plastic, can be very noticeable.

If there is no evidence at all of leaks- stains, mold, warpage, then quite likely it is inside a drain.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

New homeowner. If its a new home, you probably don't have an actual problem. If it is an older house, for a couple hunderd bucks you can get a plumber to snake every drain and use a moisture detector to assess if you have any leaks, he can also explain the noise. All that for peace of mind. If the sale was recent and the house was inspected, you could call and ask the inspector if he noted such a condition and how thoroughly he inspected the plumbing. Most don't mind questions.

Reply to
Pipedown

Some water meters make a ticking or tapping sound at low flow rates. Listen at the meter while someone flushes a closet.

Reply to
Mr.E

Speedy Jim wrote in news:LFW0k.359$L snipped-for-privacy@flpi150.ffdc.sbc.com:

One thing that might give you some info to isolate source is to take a cup of water and slowly pour it into the toilet. See if you hear the dripping. Also try pouring a cup into the back fill bowl.

Reply to
Red Green