flushing cat litter down toilet - should landlord forbid this?

Page 2 of 2

Maybe off topic, but I had a Labrador that used to eat the cat shit (with attached litter) from our cat litter tray.
It was great, just topped it up every couple of days. Only problem was the dogs breath...

Was he a friendly dog? Liked to lick peoples' faces?
I am 70 years old, have had too many cats to count, and I never flushed any of their litter down the toilet. Insist they stop immediately. Pat
Hi, Unless they want blockage in their sewer line. Embarrassing thing. Tony
Patscga wrote:

Your first mistake was to permit tenants to have pets. Never heard of a renter with pets who wasn't a pain in the butt in one way or t'other.

My direct, personal, long time experience: The litter is clay. We took out a length of waste pipe and found it half full of cat litter for a 30 foot length. TB
Structure this into your lease: The water closets and waste pipes shall not be used for any purpose other than those for which they were constructed, nor shall any sweepings, rubbish, kitty litter, soiled kitty litter, or any other improper articles be thrown into them. Any damage to the building caused by the misuse of such equipment shall be paid by the Tenant.
And while your at it put this in too: NO ANIMALS, FISH, BIRDS OR PETS OF ANY KIND SHALL BE PERMITTED IN THE PREMISES WITHOUT THE LANDLORD'S PRIOR WRITTEN CONSENT. The granting of consent to others shall in no way be deemed the granting of consent to the Tenant, nor obligate the Landlord to grant consent to the Tenant.
Of course, with the no animals clause, you can get rid of the kitty litter clause. Do yourself a *big* favor. Get rid of the animals. Do one of the following: have the tenant sign a new lease with the no pet clause, give the tenant a notice stating you're not renewing or if a "tenant at will" (month to month) give the tenant the required notice to vacate.
The tenant may think you're not nice, but, it's your property, and you, ultimately will have to pay for any pet damage you find after the tenant leaves.
Of course, their are various laws concerning everything I've stated above. Consult a lawyer schooled in landord/tenant law before acting.
Bob

It is OK to put kitty litter down drain as long as you have a disposal under your sink. You can put ANYTHING down a sink with a pig.
Local cat lady here was flushing clay and cat shit down drain for a few years untill the whole line was plugged up. Had to be replaced. When the scum with the digger lifted the 10 foot section of PVC out he let it tip to one side and the shit came out. That is the Worst stink I have ever smelled in my life. Worse than grease trap. The digger almost tipped over when it tried to lift one section of the pipe.
Oh yeah check this out!! The strangest part of the whole thing was she kept some of the cat shit. In her basement there were over 50 plastic grocery bags with about 2 pounds of shit each
There were piles of garbage bags full of clothes and shit from the 70's. The pile was biggest at the stairs and was starting to back up. Her hot water tank had rusted out a while ago and had been leaking out into the basement. the floor was soaked and reeked of mold.
She was an old drunk and very nasty. I tried to be nice to her but she was so lonely she wouldnt let me go. I finally had to say I was going, that I was going to get in trouble. She got pissed and said, "I bet you think I'm dirty". I was kinda shocked but kept going and just said, no, no I don't, we'll see you now, you have a nice day dear.

in

i don't know if your problem is related to your tenant, but NEVER flush litter down the toilet! i don't care *what* the bag of biodegradable litter says, it WILL jam up the plumbing. if they use clay litter or scoopable litter it's even worse. you really shouldn't have to forbid it, but since common sense tends to be lacking in most people, it would make sense to protect yourself & your property that you do put it into the tenant agreement. as a former tenant with 11 cats, 2 dogs & 3 rats, i applaud you for allowing pets. as a pet owner, i do understand that a landlord needs to protect his investment & adding special pet clauses is perfectly understandable. lee