Flush valve nut

How big are they? Wondering if I have a wrench that fits or if I'll need to purchase one when I get the new flush valve kit.

Reply to
Chiefjim

They are plastic and you hand tighten them or at most give it a wee bit of a turn with a pair of channel locks. Follow the directions. What the old one has and how it comes off is all that might need a wrench. But I've done a few over the last couple decades and didn't need a wrench, just channel lock pliers.

Reply to
trader_4

About inch and a quarter. Last time I did one, I used a pair of channel locks from HF that are designed for pipe. Worked nicely.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

From the YouTube videos that plastic nut appeared to be more like 2.5-3.0 inches. Some referred to an adjustable spud wrench. Plus I see some specialized wrenches available for sale. Makes me wonder just how big the jaw opening needs to be.

Reply to
Chiefjim

Hmm, Didn't you take a look what is in your toilet yank first?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

No. I haven't yanked the tank off yet to test fit any tools underneath. When the tank does come off I prefer to know I have all the correct size tools to do the job.

Keep in mind I'm only concerned about the total diameter which a wrench must be able to span.

Reply to
Chiefjim

You think you need to remove the tank to change the flush valve? Better get some help!

Reply to
Pico Rico

I think maybe he was reeling you in.

Reply to
Pico Rico

Good grief, it's nowhere near that big. More like half that size. Look at what's on the tank now.

They're nuts.

If you don't believe us, I'm sure you can find the install directions online from the manufacturer. Or even simpler, you have to buy the new fill assembly. Just look at it in the store.

Reply to
trader_4

I never knew fluch valves had nuts :)

Sorry I could not resist!!!!

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Some have float balls, too.

Sorry, I could not resist!!!!

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Chiefjim posted for all of us...

A job like this is always an opportunity to add to the toolbox.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Actually, you can use ANY home project to expand your tool base. So far the advice given regarding R&R of the flush valve has been spot on so a special wrench really isn't required.

OTOH, if SWMBO is not very handy herself or always looking over your shoulder when you're doing repairs, now might be a good time to snap up that multi-tool you've been considering or maybe a new router

Never let a project or repair request go to waste!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Well this was almost fun. All along when I was saying FLUSH the responses were focused on FILL. So many quick to jump on the bandwagon yet not recog nizing their own tunnel vision. In the end they reeled themselves in.

At least most here were man enough to admit they were focused on the wrong part.

The writers intent and the readers interpretation are often wide apart. In stead of identifying the part as a FLUSH VALVE perhaps I should have been m ore descriptive by saying "that assembly the water passes through from the tank to the basin."? Had I done so chances are someone would have responde d that is just the definition of a FLUSH VALVE.

Anyway thanks to all, believe I'll use a strap wrench if needed.

Reply to
Chiefjim