Flush up

Page 2 of 2

Then I would install a drain and connect to the sewer. If you don't have to pump crap up and over head, you're better off. Later on you will regret installing something that grinds up waste and pumps it up across the ceiling. I can foresee all sorts of ways it could leak. And when you have to rebuild the pump..... not for me. This is a catastrophe waiting to happen.
On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 13:33:51 -0700, "Guv Bob"

If you're talking to me or my next-door neighbor, you must have skipped the part where the sewer already backs up into the basement. Putting in a toilet, whose top is lower than the top of the laundry sink, probably means this overflowing would happen more often, and there's no simple way to plug a toilet like I plug my sink.
Oh, I just said it floods. It floods by backing up through the sink drain.

wrote in message > >LOL!!

If the sewer back up problem is fixed, would the toilet & sinks drains flow by gravity to the sewer? If so, that would be my first thought instead of pumping s*** up to the ceiling. Just sounds to me like this is a mess just waint to happen down the road.

pumps it up across the ceiling. I can foresee all sorts of ways it could leak. And when you have to rebuild the pump..... not for me. This is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 17:17:51 -0700, "Sasquatch Jones"

Yes, but the sewer won't be fixed.
Even though they were very nice, I've lost interest in dealing with the county. The county was very helpful 30 years ago, and put in waterproof manhole covers in two places, but the guy I talked to who ordered that said it probably wouldn't help and it didn't. I guess the sewer floods up stream -- when the stream rises higher than the manholes.
But say they fix it. Then one day they have to open one of the problem manholes and they don't seal it again, maybe because they plan to come back fairly soon, or maybe they forgot or maybe it's not on the work order or maybe they tried and did a bad job, or maybe they did a good job, but just as you think the new drain pipe will start leaking, so too does the manhole waterproofing start leaking. I think one of those is more likely to happen than that his drain pipe will start leaking, and so we both, in fact all four of us, have to be prepared for it.
My neighbor's first reaction was also to get the county to fix the manholes. At the time I thought he was putting the bathroom in immediately and I told him he couldn't get the county to act that quickly. Now that several months have gone by, maybe he could have gotten them to do something in all this time -- maybe he still could -- but he hasnt' said anything to me. Of course he doesn't say anything to me about anything important. And when I email, he's only replied once with a one-line reply.
The other two neighbors who have flooding are about 4" higher than our houses so they may flood less often (which is every one or two years if no precautions are taken.) . I've never quite figured that out.

Aw, come on. Each of us already 20 feet of sewage pipe in the house that hasn't leaked a bit in 30 years, and probalby won't for another 50. There's no reason the new 14 feet will leak if they're put in right, and if they do leak, they can be flushed with clean water by repeatedly flushing the toilet, then taken apart and repaired like anytihing else.

None of the things someone describes in the 3 lines above are a catastrophe. Dirty and disgusting, yes, if the worst happens, but it can all be cleaned up with paper towels** and thrown in the trash. One could even wear disposeable rubber gloves. I'm not putting in another bathroom but if I were, any crap involved would be my own, and most people tolerate their own crap much better than anyone else's. In fact ever since I had an obstructed bowel and vomited 23 times in 4 hours, including vomiting out thick black stuff which I think came all the way from my intestines, which when I got out of the hospital I had to clean up, I'm a lot more tolerant than I used to be. But even before then, I could do it.
**Bounty really are the best paper towels in the USA, the toughest, just like their advertisements say. Sometimes I use cheaper ones for simpler things, but the ones that are closest to being cloth rags, yet intended to be dsposealble, are Bounty.
Sorry, that's too much for me to read. Give us the Readers Digest version as to why you want to pump the waste up rather than let it gravity feed to the sewer?