Flush up

If the sewer back up problem is fixed, would the toilet & sinks drains flow by gravity to the sewer? If so, that would be my first thought instead of pumping s*** up to the ceiling. Just sounds to me like this is a mess just waint to happen down the road.

Later on you will regret installing something that grinds up waste and pumps it up across the ceiling. I can foresee all sorts of ways it could leak. And when you have to rebuild the pump..... not for me. This is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

Reply to
Sasquatch Jones

Yes, but the sewer won't be fixed.

Even though they were very nice, I've lost interest in dealing with the county. The county was very helpful 30 years ago, and put in waterproof manhole covers in two places, but the guy I talked to who ordered that said it probably wouldn't help and it didn't. I guess the sewer floods up stream -- when the stream rises higher than the manholes.

But say they fix it. Then one day they have to open one of the problem manholes and they don't seal it again, maybe because they plan to come back fairly soon, or maybe they forgot or maybe it's not on the work order or maybe they tried and did a bad job, or maybe they did a good job, but just as you think the new drain pipe will start leaking, so too does the manhole waterproofing start leaking. I think one of those is more likely to happen than that his drain pipe will start leaking, and so we both, in fact all four of us, have to be prepared for it.

My neighbor's first reaction was also to get the county to fix the manholes. At the time I thought he was putting the bathroom in immediately and I told him he couldn't get the county to act that quickly. Now that several months have gone by, maybe he could have gotten them to do something in all this time -- maybe he still could -- but he hasnt' said anything to me. Of course he doesn't say anything to me about anything important. And when I email, he's only replied once with a one-line reply.

The other two neighbors who have flooding are about 4" higher than our houses so they may flood less often (which is every one or two years if no precautions are taken.) . I've never quite figured that out.

Aw, come on. Each of us already 20 feet of sewage pipe in the house that hasn't leaked a bit in 30 years, and probalby won't for another 50. There's no reason the new 14 feet will leak if they're put in right, and if they do leak, they can be flushed with clean water by repeatedly flushing the toilet, then taken apart and repaired like anytihing else.

None of the things someone describes in the 3 lines above are a catastrophe. Dirty and disgusting, yes, if the worst happens, but it can all be cleaned up with paper towels** and thrown in the trash. One could even wear disposeable rubber gloves. I'm not putting in another bathroom but if I were, any crap involved would be my own, and most people tolerate their own crap much better than anyone else's. In fact ever since I had an obstructed bowel and vomited 23 times in 4 hours, including vomiting out thick black stuff which I think came all the way from my intestines, which when I got out of the hospital I had to clean up, I'm a lot more tolerant than I used to be. But even before then, I could do it.

**Bounty really are the best paper towels in the USA, the toughest, just like their advertisements say. Sometimes I use cheaper ones for simpler things, but the ones that are closest to being cloth rags, yet intended to be dsposealble, are Bounty.
Reply to
micky

It's not a valid assumption in the North. I've lived in NJ most of my life, been in many homes here. I've never seen a home yet where the sewer line exited at basement floor level. My current home, connects to municipal sewer and the pipe is about 5 ft above basement level. If it exited at basement floor level, the cost of the sewer system would be increased by a lot, because it would all have to be buried considerably deeper than basement floor, ie 10+ ft deep. Also, there are many homes with their own septic tank, and those can't exit at basement floor level. I think exiting below the basement floor is mostly seen in cities.

Freezing isn't the issue. Mine exits ~5 ft above the basement floor, but that still puts it well below the frost line.

Reply to
trader_4

My parents house at present, the sewer is about five feet off the floor, as you say. Last house, we did have toilet in the cellar, but the toilet base was maybe foot or two higher than the sewer.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sorry, that's too much for me to read. Give us the Readers Digest version as to why you want to pump the waste up rather than let it gravity feed to the sewer?

Reply to
Sasquatch Jones