Flush mount light fixture, 16" x 16"?

Where might I look for a very small, flush-mount light fixture?
We are finishing off an attic. There is very limited headroom so we can't put hanging shop lights. I found a 15x15 "low profile" fixture at Home Depot, but it still protrudes about 3".
They have lots of fixtures such as you see in kitchens with the plastic diffuser sheets that mount flush with the ceiling, but they are all at least 4' long. We want to put them between the rafters (about 16" centers). We don't have close to 4' in length because of a wall.
I have checked the local lighting and electrical stores and online.
--
For email, use snipped-for-privacy@spamex.com

Have you considered using those little surface mounted halogen lights? I've used them to some success. You could mount a piece of plywood between the rafters about 2" up and mount the lights to that.
The kits are super easy to install, they're bright, and fairly inexpensive. There's usually a pretty broad range of styles to choose from if you need them to look nice.

I'm not sure what you mean. Are they recessed? We are going to sheetrock the ceiling so I need it to be recessed.
Do you have a link that shows what you are talking about?
I did find a link for Halo recessed 11" square lights:
http://www.haloltg.com/common/CLProducts.cfm?brand=Halo&group=Recessed%20Downlighting%3A%2011%22%20Squares
Does anyone have any experience with these?
--
For email, use snipped-for-privacy@spamex.com

Here's a link to something similar to what I used in the past: http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/13-42-under-cabinet-halogen/four-light-halogen-kit-111133.aspx#features
You'll want to watch out for line wrapping on the link, and you'll want to check that that product can be used in a permanent installation like you're wanting to do. A lot of this type of lighting isn't intended to be used as room lighting in a ceiling, but this one seems to be different from those others, but you'll want to double check anyway.
I checked the manufacturer web site, and they didn't say anything one way or the other, so you'd probably want to call either them or an electrician and ask them.

OK, thanks. I'll go over to Home Depot and see if they carry something like this.
--
For email, use snipped-for-privacy@spamex.com

one annoyance of eye-level lighting is glare. but if the fixture blocks sides of the lamp/bulb to prevent glare, the light shines mostly downward (narrow distribution).
wrote:

check catalogs for mfrs with extensive product line. (you probably already have. 15" tall was too short?) decades ago square/rectangular recess fixtures were more popular. i think (!) some will take up to 150w incandescent.
otherwise, maybe some of those showcase lamps? but i don't think they'll be very efficient. http://www.nextag.com/Lighting--zzpicture+lightz2700469z1zB3qz5---html
Undercabinet http://www.lightology.com/index.cfm/method-light.store_subcat/dept-Undercabinet/lcat_id - 1/subdept-Undercabinet?CFID"41783&CFTOKEN16c7bf3db1c917-2A57B09F-5022- 83C7-DD24988021C9832B&jsessionid30a51fcd9b5863501d these also probably low lumens, efficiency.
i wonder what are the dimensions of fixtures for these fluorescent tubes? http://www.sunshinelighting.com/lamps_bulbs-incandescent-showcase_lamp.htm
flourescent cove fixtures?
multiple LV recess? http://www.lightology.com/index.cfm/method-light.store_profile/sku-1220RS-R3050-003H1 - 00R3/dept-Recessed/szdept_label-
a relatively inexpensive close to ceiling, but i didn't think they were only 3" tall as cat seems to claim
http://site.mawebcenters.com/renomalighting/_images//P-87.jpg
old fashioned 'torpedoes', but how to arrange to avoid glare and headbumping?
http://site.mawebcenters.com/renomalighting/_images//P-113.jpg
(bottom photo of single-socket)