Fluorescent Tube Disposal

Page 2 of 3

Bob Villa wrote:

Yes I have offspring. Quite talented offspring, really. They can see the squirrels no one else can spot.
I also take Zinc supplements.

...and you have lead in your can...watch out for those squirrels!
On 7/2/2010 7:00 AM, Bob Villa wrote:

we are not EATING the florescent tubes from the dumpster you needledick.
--
Steve Barker
On 7/1/2010 11:29 PM, HeyBub wrote:

I asked at the local Lowes store for the proper way to dispose of the tubes. After all, they used the tubes in their store and I bought mine from them to start with. Everybody I spoke to just kind of shrugged. Nobody had a clue how to properly dispose of them. So I did what I'm sure they did. I tossed them in a dumpster.
Jay
On 7/1/2010 7:06 PM, HeyBub wrote:

ROTFLMMFAO! Yeah, really. About 47,000 from me alone.
--
Steve Barker
On 7/1/2010 6:03 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

oh really? Hasn't seemed to effect much here yet.
--
Steve Barker
Jason Bourne wrote:

Trash.
If you're worried about nasties leeching into the water supply, don't. Municipal solid waste pits are sealed to prevent such a thing. If the sealing breaks down, there would be a much bigger problem than that contributed by your florescent bulbs.

They usually have a limit in how many you can put out at one time but that is the way they tell us to get rid of them.

This is a stop-gap argument...like sealing nuclear waste in a mountain! Let future generations worry about it. Please re-cycle these time-bombs.
bob
On 6/29/2010 6:27 PM, Jason Bourne wrote:

see how many pieces you can make them into as you javelin them into the dumpster. At least that's what i've done with the last forty seven thousand i've replaced.
-- Steve Barker remove the "not" from my address to email

Exactly!
The "tree huggers" are in love with the flouresence lamps. They have convinced themselves that the mercury in the lamps is as nothing compared to the mercury released burning the coal needed to generate the extra electricity need by "conventional" lighting.
When the LED lamps get established I suspect "they" will start giving more consideration to the disposal of the Fl lamps.
When I lived in a high rise condo, I was told to just drop them down the trash chute. I lived on the 12th floor so it was over 100' to the compactor!
John Gilmer wrote:

I did a "back of the envelope" calculation on the mercury saved from being emitted from power stations compared to that used in CFL lamps. Based upon 50% coal power generation in the US, the amount of mercury used was in the same ballpark.
Clot wrote:

Right. According to "The True Believer":
"A mass movement can exist without a god, but it will always fail without a devil. A mass movement must have something to hate."
With CFLs, the Greens have the best of both worlds: They can hate the Mercury OR the coal.

When what they really hate is civilization.
On 7/2/2010 6:07 PM, John Gilmer wrote:

i think the mercury vaporizes in such a fall.
--
Steve Barker
Being in the Oh Bomb Us years, you need to call the government, immediately. They will send out crews of highly armed men, in moon suits. They will take the tubes away, for environmental disposal. And then send you a bill for about five thousand dollars, payable in net 30 days. Copy of the report to Al Gore.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Do you really get off on looking like an idiot?
Bob F wrote:

Sigh. A prophet is never accepted in his own country.
Best reply I've heard in ages.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus