Fluorescent Tube Disposal

Got three dead 48" tubes from my shop lights. What's the right method for disposal?

Reply to
Jason Bourne

My solid waste dept asks us to take them to its hazardous waste site, or to stores that take them for recycling.

Reply to
Bob F

Can dispose of them at HD store here.

Reply to
norminn

Hmm..I didn't know that!

I usually take fluorescents to the hazardous waste disposal site in our little city, along with other things that might contain mercury or other goodies, and electronic waste.

Our local site, however, doesn't take medical waste, so when I was taking shots for a medical condition, I had to dispose of the needles at another site.

I thought the fire dept. would accept them, but the captain told me they only accept needles & such from operations **they** have conducted, involving addict emergencies, etc.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Trash.

If you're worried about nasties leeching into the water supply, don't. Municipal solid waste pits are sealed to prevent such a thing. If the sealing breaks down, there would be a much bigger problem than that contributed by your florescent bulbs.

Reply to
HeyBub

They usually have a limit in how many you can put out at one time but that is the way they tell us to get rid of them.

Reply to
gfretwell

see how many pieces you can make them into as you javelin them into the dumpster. At least that's what i've done with the last forty seven thousand i've replaced.

-- Steve Barker remove the "not" from my address to email

Reply to
Steve Barker

I just leave them out by the street on household/yard trash day and they disappear. Teh only thing they haven't taken was a (not so) old dish washer. Had to pay the $5 bribe down at city hall before they'd pick that up.

Your blood is far more dangerous than an addict's, I presume.

Reply to
krw

Being in the Oh Bomb Us years, you need to call the government, immediately. They will send out crews of highly armed men, in moon suits. They will take the tubes away, for environmental disposal. And then send you a bill for about five thousand dollars, payable in net

30 days. Copy of the report to Al Gore.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This is a stop-gap argument...like sealing nuclear waste in a mountain! Let future generations worry about it. Please re-cycle these time-bombs.

bob

Reply to
Bob Villa

"Javelining" suggestion is the clear winner-- I like it in part because I actually threw a javelin back in the day on the high school track team.

As for the $5000 disposal bill from the feds, that's not as far-fetched as you'd like to think.

I'm self-employed and have two Keogh retirement accounts. If you own a Keogh, you have to file a Form 5500 EZ annually with the IRS which simply is a report of how much money you contributed to the account the past year and what's the current balance in the account. Why that form needs to be eight pages long is another story.

Anyway, as I have been doing each July for the last 20 years, I fill out the forms, stuff them in an envelope and mail them off. In July 2009, I get a form letter telling me I am delinquent because I only filed one form with them for 2007. So I write back saying that I filed both forms and mailed them both in the same envelope. I said that since they got one, they must have received the other one as well. I also enclosed a photo copy of the form they say I never filed.

About three months later, I get a letter saying they are imposing a $14,300 fine (yes, fourteen THOUSAND bucks!) payable in 60 days just for filing a report a year late! Note that I hadn't owed them any money, just that they said I didn't file a report! They counted the date they received the photocopy as the original filing date.

I couldn't get through to anyone on the phone so I write back again saying my report was timely filed and no fine is due. They write back again and say pay up or they will seize the money from the Keogh account.

At this point, I know I've got a real problem so I go to my congressman's district office with the paperwork and ask for his help dealing with those idiots. I'll say this, the next month, I get another letter from IRS saying no penalty is due and the matter is resolved! You can believe the guy gets my vote this year!

Reply to
Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne wrote in news:i0dvhc$n57$2 @news.albasani.net:

Red Green

Do you really get off on looking like an idiot?

Reply to
Bob F

I went through a similar event. I politely apologised for the error in writing and asked them to excuse it, which they politely did.

Reply to
Bob F

Sigh. A prophet is never accepted in his own country.

Reply to
HeyBub

Home Depot and Lowes both accept them. Call ahead to your local store to make sure.

Reply to
Ed

he's not that far off.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I really hope all these notions of recycling and returning tubes to places is a joke.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Affirmative Action strikes again. "Hello, employment service? Do you have any imbeciles applying for work today? Yes? Good! Send them on over, we need some more bureaucrats for our government office."

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You'd been better with the cash in a shoe box. Less likely to get siezed.

That's typical politician. Rocks the boat, and then claims he's the only man who can calm the storm.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon