Fluorescent Tube Disposal

Page 1 of 3

Got three dead 48" tubes from my shop lights. What's the right method for disposal?
Jason Bourne wrote:

My solid waste dept asks us to take them to its hazardous waste site, or to stores that take them for recycling.
Jason Bourne wrote:

Can dispose of them at HD store here.

Hmm..I didn't know that!
I usually take fluorescents to the hazardous waste disposal site in our little city, along with other things that might contain mercury or other goodies, and electronic waste.
Our local site, however, doesn't take medical waste, so when I was taking shots for a medical condition, I had to dispose of the needles at another site.
I thought the fire dept. would accept them, but the captain told me they only accept needles & such from operations **they** have conducted, involving addict emergencies, etc.

I just leave them out by the street on household/yard trash day and they disappear. Teh only thing they haven't taken was a (not so) old dish washer. Had to pay the $5 bribe down at city hall before they'd pick that up.

Your blood is far more dangerous than an addict's, I presume.
Home Depot and Lowes both accept them. Call ahead to your local store to make sure.
On 6/30/2010 3:18 PM, Ed wrote:

I really hope all these notions of recycling and returning tubes to places is a joke.
--
Steve Barker
I suspect they are serious. I've seen signs in the back doors of stores at a mall near me, it's illegal, there, to put fluorescent tubes in the dumpsters. They are actually recycled for the mercury content.
On 7/1/2010 6:36 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

LMAO!
--
Steve Barker

What's funny? Putting dangerous toxic metals in the regular garbage is an anti-social act.

Higgs Boson wrote:

A. Trying to extract five milligrams of Mercury from almost anything is hilarious.
B. Commercial florescent lamps have been around since before WWII. Each bulb contains upwards of 10 milligrams of Mercury. A lot of bulbs have been put in landfills in sixty years.

Some of the 4 footers (before 1999) could have contained as much as 46.4 mg. each. Let's just add more toxins to the environment and make sure we cluster f*ck our future generations!
On 7/1/2010 9:34 PM, Bob Villa wrote:

Mercury *comes* from the environment, we just borrow it for awhile then put it back......

*Exactly* the point the green nuts refuse to see. Asbestos is the same deal.
We chemically process a lot of things. Make them more hazzardous. Extracting lead from the ground chemicals comes to mind. I'm not sure how mercury exists in the environment. Oxide, or sulfide, or something like that. we separate it out of the compound.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Mercury is worse as it exists in nature than it is in its metallic form.

One particular thought I had years back...how much asbestos is in the environment around intersections? For a great many years brake pads and shoes were made (and some still are) of the stuff! Have never heard of a study or report!

A *lot*, but it's not hurting anyone.

There were reports by the usual scare merchants around the time asbestos was banned.
Bob Villa wrote:

And Mercury-vapor lamps probably contain more! Point is, the lamps have been discarded in less than EPA-approved methods for over fifty years and no one can point to a SINGLE deleterious result. Not one.
Some FISH diets contain more Mercury than that from a florescent bulb.

It sounds like your saying, "metals are okay to consume"! Get a grip...do you have off-spring?