Fluorescent spiral lights, why not inclosed?

Was just wondering why you cannot use those spiral fluorescent lights in an inclosed fixture, what will happen if you do?

to be exact

Reply to
Schism

these to be exact

Heat build up will shorten the bulb life considerably.

RicodJour

these to be exact

You can buy them that way, they just cost more. Only the open tube models come heavily discounted.

Take a look at a CFC floodlight. They just shove one of those bulbs into a spotlight reflector. I use them in several recessed fixtures in my house.

I have also seem many with white plastic globes over them.

Years ago I had a roommate who was into plastic blow molding. His company tried to make the plastic globes but with the blow molders they had, they could not produce a globe with even thickness or non obvious mold seams or find a plastic which would not yellow or deteriorate due to the light and heat.

That was 10 years ago, I'm sure the industry has fixed all the problems by now.

Reply to
PipeDown

Some do not have a problem and some do. Check the packaging and the printing on the lamp.

Enclosed fixtures allow more heat build up. The earlier CF were not built with that in mind. I have noticed that most of the newer ones seem to be OK with enclosed fixtures.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Yes, newer ones are betting better all the time. The EPA even had a contest to improve the reliability.

Be aware also that the "reflector" is designed for a standard bulb. A CFL is quite different. I've seen twist CFLs in fixtures designed for reflector lamps.

Note too that the reflector CLF's are the worst of the bunch. If the base is above the lamp AND you put it in a can at the hottest part of a room you are asking for heat trouble.

RickR

Reply to
RickR

some compact fluroscents must be burned base down only, and others cant be mounted in sealed fixtures.

not nearly as hot as incadescents but can still get pretty hot, thats bad for the electronic ballasts

Reply to
hallerb

Anything to make life complicated !!!!!!!!!

Whatever happened to a plain candle and a match for light.... If it wasn't so bright, we'd have more time for hugging and kissing.

Whatever happened to the crystal set radio? Do we really need hdtv? If we watched the crystal set radio we'd have more time for hugging and kissing.

If we didn't have all these damn household repairs, we'd have more time for hugging and kissing (in our igloos).

If it weren't for all the spam email, we'd have more time for hugging and kissing........... (Except, without internet dating, who would we hug and kiss?)

Reply to
I.cant.read