Fluorescent ring lights

My house has four fixtures that use fluorescent ring lights. They only used one 12 inch ring. I have had to replace them because the ballast was failing (after 18 years). The only replacement fixtures I could find work with two rings - an 8 inch inside of a 12 inch. I don't need the extra light from the 8 inch ring. Will this fixture work properly if I just remove the 8 inch ring?

---MIKE---

>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire >> (44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Reply to
---MIKE---

Circlines.

Depends on the ballast design, but IIRC most circline ballasts run the lamps independently and will work fine with one lamp absent.

Did you try finding a replacement ballast for the old lights?

Reply to
James Sweet

Go to a True Value hardware store and ask for item# 577443. Here is the description:

32W, 14-1/8"D x 3-1/4" Depth, Circline Round Shallow Mushroom Style Cloud Fixture With Smooth White Molded Acrylic Diffuser, All White Steel Housing, Premium Grade, Low Heat Rise, UL Listed For Damp Locations, Wall Mountable, Operates FC12T9 Circline Lamp, Included, Replacement Lamp Use True Value #253-096, Retail Carton. MFR. AMERICAN FLUOR CORP
Reply to
Kuskokwim

At this point I have already replaced the three "bad" fixtures. In looking for the single fixtures, I tried Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot and a local electrical supply store. I just want to know if I can remove the 8 inch bulb.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

Remove it, if the larger bulb stays on then you're fine. Most rapid start ballasts run pairs of lamps in series, I don't think the circline ballasts do, but trying it is a quick way to find out.

Reply to
James Sweet