Fluorescent Light Question

We have some fluorescent lights that are causing a buzz in our sound system. I am pretty certain the ballasts are magnetic type. Would changing them to electronic ballasts reduce or eliminate the buzz?
Mike D.
On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 11:38:11 -0600, Michael Dobony

This guy know everything about lights including fluorescents. If this doesn't answer your question, he has is email address somewhere there. You can send him your question. http://members.misty.com/don/f-lamp.html#wbz

Yes

The correct answer is "maybe". Be sure any electronic ballasts indicate they meet FCC Part 15 requirements on noise enmissions, otherwise, electronic ballasts may be even noisier.

Also ask about using the proper tubes. I tried regular T8 34 or 40 watt tubes in an electronic ballast fixture, supposed to take T10s (I think those were the right tube numbers?) just to test out the fixture after doing some mechanical repairs to it. And the ballast seemed to get unduly hot after a short while. For permanent use of course we use the proper tubes in the proper fixtures. Just a suggestion. Some electronic ballasts and other devices do seem to generate undue amounts of RFI (Radio Frequency Interference). Why the FCC and other regulatory agencies don't do more to test, ban and remove from the market more of those items (light dimmers, timers, even some CFLSs etc.) is unclear! Lobbyists maybe?