Fluorescent light problem

My bathroom light consists of a 12" ring with an 8" ring inside. At times it won't come on and at other times it works just fine. When it fails, a heat lamp on the same switch does work. I have replaced both rings but that doesn't help. I don't see a ballast or starter but I haven't looked inside the fixture. What could the problem be?
---MIKE---

>> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Add pictures here
✖
Ballast inside the chrome dome
My bathroom light consists of a 12" ring with an 8" ring inside. At times it won't come on and at other times it works just fine. When it fails, a heat lamp on the same switch does work. I have replaced both rings but that doesn't help. I don't see a ballast or starter but I haven't looked inside the fixture. What could the problem be?
---MIKE---

>> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Add pictures here
✖
My bathroom light consists of a 12" ring with an 8" ring inside. At times it won't come on and at other times it works just fine. When it fails, a heat lamp on the same switch does work. I have replaced both rings but that doesn't help. I don't see a ballast or starter but I haven't looked inside the fixture. What could the problem be?
---MIKE---

>> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')
In the canopy of the fixture is a "circleline" ballast for 1-32 watt T-12 and 1-20 watt T-12 lamp. It's probably not worth replacing, I'd get a new fixture
Add pictures here
✖
---MIKE--- wrote:

Sometimes a florescent fixture acts like this because of a crappy ground.
May not be your problem, but it's cheap to check.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 20, 3:38 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

I agree with the two comments. 1. Possible bad ground issue. 2. Ballast bad, above the parts you can see. I also agree that replacing it may be the best idea, but remember that you will need a fixture large enough to cover the area under the old one. That area likely is now a different color than the rest of the ceiling.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 15:38:38 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

If it's old, it could be a bad starter. If the switch is ON and the ring won't light, lightly brush the ring using your hand--does this work? Closely inspect contacts and connections for any corrosion, evidence of sparking, or loose connections. Not sure how long you want to troubleshoot, or just replace the fixture and be done with it.
Add pictures here
✖