fluorescent light not working

We have 3 fluorescent light fixtures in our office and each of them has 2 tubes. All 3 fixtures are battery backed up versions with a red light that you can press to test the light.
The strange thing is that none of the light fixtures is working, but the red light is ON. And if we press the red light, the lights will come on as long as we keep the finger on the red light. But as soon as we release the red light, the light fixture will go dark.
Any idea?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Tape the button in.
TDD

dats becuz ur pwr is out u need 2 call the pwr cumpuny.

If you do not have the knowledge and tools to trouble shoot it yourself, get an electrician! Also it sounds like a business situation? So proper attention to a potential electrical problem is in order to avoid any liability for danger/fire in a workplace etc. Attend to it. Keeping the button pushed down is not a satisfactory permanent solution!!!!
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

The breaker servicing the lighting is flipped.
HeyBub wrote:

So.....If the breaker is flipped off, why didn't the lights come on like they should? If they light when the button's pushed, the batteries must have some charge left in them.
I agree that the OP should get someone in who knows which end is up, it doesn't sound like he does.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

And we have no information as to whether the light/s,are fed by single phase or from two phases of a 3 phase system? Directly or via relays? No idea what is supply voltage? Also how is the 'emergency' feature of lights powered and from where? Insufficient info!