fluorescent light not working

We have 3 fluorescent light fixtures in our office and each of them has 2 tubes. All 3 fixtures are battery backed up versions with a red light that you can press to test the light.

The strange thing is that none of the light fixtures is working, but the red light is ON. And if we press the red light, the lights will come on as long as we keep the finger on the red light. But as soon as we release the red light, the light fixture will go dark.

Any idea?

Reply to
dchou4u

Tape the button in.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

dats becuz ur pwr is out u need 2 call the pwr cumpuny.

Reply to
--) * SItRe JoSePheNNe MAGAnA

If you do not have the knowledge and tools to trouble shoot it yourself, get an electrician! Also it sounds like a business situation? So proper attention to a potential electrical problem is in order to avoid any liability for danger/fire in a workplace etc. Attend to it. Keeping the button pushed down is not a satisfactory permanent solution!!!!

Reply to
stan

The breaker servicing the lighting is flipped.

Reply to
HeyBub

So.....If the breaker is flipped off, why didn't the lights come on like they should? If they light when the button's pushed, the batteries must have some charge left in them.

I agree that the OP should get someone in who knows which end is up, it doesn't sound like he does.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Nope, not the breaker. Its probably a bad switch. We have several in our building that we can shut off with a switch and the emergency portion does not come on, turn the breaker off they do. So using this logic, the OP has a bad switch.

Reply to
Big Bob

And we have no information as to whether the light/s,are fed by single phase or from two phases of a 3 phase system? Directly or via relays? No idea what is supply voltage? Also how is the 'emergency' feature of lights powered and from where? Insufficient info!

Reply to
stan