Fluorescent light fixture problem

Hi all:

One of my 2-tube Fluorescent light fixtures in my 2-fixture kitchen light box went South, so I trotted down to HD for a replacement. Purchased what I thought was the same brand and same model (Lithonia Lighting 48" 2-tube) and installed it in place of the old one. Only after installing the tubes did it become clear that it's *not* exactly the same as the old fixture (and the other fixture in the light box) in that it drops the tube about 1/4" lower. That shouldn't be a big deal, but it is, because of the tight dimensions between the cross members of the light box and the tubes: there's just not enough room to drop a tube out of the fixture if it needs replacement.

I'll probably have to cobble up some sort of "spacer frame" to go between the Oak light box and the kitchen ceiling in order to get the clearance I need, unless somebody can suggest something else. The extra drop comes from the light sockets themselves, but I don't think there's any way to wire the old sockets into the new fixture.

Tom Young

Reply to
TomYoung

Transfer all the ballast and wiring of the new fixture into the old fixture. There aren't more than 6 wires involved. THe wires into the light sockets are probably pressed into the sockets, a little investigation should solve all your problems.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hi, Fixture is repairable. Ballast or socket or wiring what else can go wrong?

Reply to
Tony Hwang