fluorescent fixture no longer working

Hi...

We have a 2 bulb fluorescent light fixture in our basement that simply ceased lighting up... I've tried both of the bulbs in other lights and they work; I've tried new bulbs in the fixture and it doesn't. Is it common for the fixture itself just to flake out? Sound like anything that could be fixed or is it best to just trash the thing?

Thanks

-mark

Reply to
Mark Modrall

Is the basement unheated/cold? If so, that's likely the problem.

There has been a TON of info posted to this newsgroup over the last year, it's all here for the reading via Google, please donut make us rehash it all again!

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Reply to
George Myers

yes probally a bad ladder transformer

Reply to
George Macomber

This is the time of year we get a lot of these questions. Most of them are a result of cold temps. Standard fixtures just will not fire off when cold. A poor ground just makes it worse.

Make sure the metal part of the fixture is really grounded. If not then you need either a new cold rated ballast or a new fixture. If you have a cheap fixture, just replace the whole thing.

Of course it could have been just something else going out, like a switch, wire or the ballast.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

There is not much inside of one of these fixtures. If it's getting power and the things that hold the bulb in aren't damaged than it's the ballast. There is simply nothing else left to go wrong.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

I have seen the sockets go bad, especially in a damp area, but from the description of what Mark has done, I don't think this would be his problem.

You are right about not much being in a fixture.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Don't forget the possibility of a bad new bulb. Had this happen once, disconvered after replacing the ballast & clips also.

Reply to
Zaf

Thanks to everyone for the replies... I wasn't trying to dredge up a new conversation on the merits of fluorescent...

More information that might pertain: the basement is where the furnace is, so even in winter it never gets very cold. Plus the room has 3 fluorescent fixtures of the same type in the same room and the others have no problem. Plus i took the bulbs out of the bad one and tried them in one of the others (they worked). Plus i took the bulbs from one of the working ones and tried them in the bad fixture (didn't work). Plus i took the fixture down and tried it from another outlet...

I'm not all that familiar with what's going into it but as part of self education, i'd be game to try and figure out the ballast...

Thanks

-mark > I have seen the sockets go bad, especially in a damp area, but from the

Reply to
Mark Modrall

The wiring inside is usually colour coded.** For example; black and white input (plus make sure fixrure is grounded, it can make a big difference. Yellows to both tubes at one end, reds to other end of one tube blues to other end of the other tube IIRC. However if you have to buy a replacement ballast it may be almost as cheap to buy a new fixture!

** Unless it's a really old unit with old dirty fabric covered wiring (I've reballasteed those too) in which case a new fixrure might be best anyway?
Reply to
Terry

Frankly since you seem to have a plug in unit. I would not bother trying to replace the ballast, it is just not worth the work when you can get a whole new one for just a few dollars more than the old one. When you do, don't get a cheap shop light, get a good one. They will last longer and be more efficient.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Since new ones are $7.57 at Wal-Mart, I say go shopping. I have bought $50 florescent lights at Home Depot and they did not work in the outlet where I needed it. The cheap one from WM always starts.

Reply to
MaxAluminum