fluorescent fixture

I `m replacing the existing fluoresent fixture in the kitchen, with one that is a bit heavier. What are the proper bolts? to attach these fixtures to the ceilng? Thanks. Patt

Reply to
Patt

It is always nice if you can get a screw or two into the ceiling joists.

Most times you can't. 2-4 toggle bolts 1/8" size will hold it just fine. 2 will hold most 2 tube fixtures and the only reason I would use 4 would be to pull it flush to the ceiling all around.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt
1/4" inch x 3" lag bolts with oversize washers into the ceiling joists. if ceiling is suspended use long screw eyes into joists and chain to hang heavier 2' x 4' fixture in place.
Reply to
buffalobill

Are you hanging a buffalo or a light fixture?

Reply to
Colbyt

"Colbyt" in news:0%Byf.490595$084.379544@attbi_s22:

my recent experience: tenants will tear it out if the fixture is hung from the box plus two large toggles (thru the sheetrock). the toggles leave large holes in the sheetrock.

i'm going to mount the next fixture using the box plus two of the retrofit adjustable-bar hangers

Choise76Smu

"Colbyt" in news:Q5Dyf.701209$x96.614236@attbi_s72:

both! the old magnetic ballasts are as heavy as half a caribou or bison :-)

Reply to
Choise76Smu

large toggles (thru the

You did not say it was for a rental. You must use a minimum a 6 3/8" x 3" lag bolts securely tightened into the ceiling joists. And then they will tear it down within 5 years.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt