fluorescent fixture

I `m replacing the existing fluoresent fixture in the kitchen, with one that is a bit heavier. What are the proper bolts? to attach these fixtures to the ceilng? Thanks. Patt

that
It is always nice if you can get a screw or two into the ceiling joists.
Most times you can't. 2-4 toggle bolts 1/8" size will hold it just fine. 2 will hold most 2 tube fixtures and the only reason I would use 4 would be to pull it flush to the ceiling all around.
Colbyt

my recent experience: tenants will tear it out if the fixture is hung from the box plus two large toggles (thru the sheetrock). the toggles leave large holes in the sheetrock.
i'm going to mount the next fixture using the box plus two of the retrofit adjustable-bar hangers
http://castlewholesalers.com/products/2278920.jpg

large toggles (thru the

You did not say it was for a rental. You must use a minimum a 6 3/8" x 3" lag bolts securely tightened into the ceiling joists. And then they will tear it down within 5 years.
Colbyt
1/4" inch x 3" lag bolts with oversize washers into the ceiling joists. if ceiling is suspended use long screw eyes into joists and chain to hang heavier 2' x 4' fixture in place.

Are you hanging a buffalo or a light fixture?

both! the old magnetic ballasts are as heavy as half a caribou or bison :-)