Fluorescent bulbs

I have a fluorescent bulb in a torchiere in my office. Over time it seems to get dimmer which I don't like. I feel like buying another one but that seems like a huge waste of money. Do they normally dim over time?
Bonnie in NJ
You are quite correct, all fluorescent lamps are rated in "initial lumens" as over time they diminish

Bonnie Jean wrote:

Yes. Talking to a supermarket manager on saturday, he commented that all bulbs in the stores are replaced every two years and it made a big difference.
Lou
Greetings,
I know they get dimmer but what I don't know is if they become significantly less efficient. Do they use less energy as they dim, etc, etc? Does anyone else here know? I don't mind using more dim florescent bulbs to extend bulb life so long as I am not paying extra for the energy.
Thanks, William
message

This is only logical thinking, not sure knowledge, but, since a flourescent requires a certain voltage from its xfmr to burst into light, I'd say all they've done is lower the required current to stop them from glowing, in order to allow dimming them. But I'm not sure of that, so ... I'm sure Google would turn up plenty of info, including design infom
HTH Pop

Some of the dimming occurs because of mecury staining within the tube, thus, the UV transmission and conversion to visible light process does degrade over time. This would affect the efficiency of the tube (less light per watt = less efficiency). Electrode efficiency over time also is degraded.
Beachcomber

Yeah, after you struggle thru 300 porn sites linked from the word "florescent" you might find something useful. Google is turning into nothing but a giant link to porn sites. Type in ANY word and you'll get more links to porn sites than anything else. Google will soon be a dinosaur.

Greetings,
a) "florescent" refers to flowers (like in a garden). I believe you meant "fluorescent" -- I am not nitpicking on spelling but it might improve your search results b) Google has advanced search options where you can turn on or off adult site filtering. I am sure the filter doesn't catch them all but you might enable it if it is off. c) I personally don't find the number of adult sites returned by Google significantly interferes with my searching. d) The stock market does not indicate that Google will soon be a dinosaur. f) If you just hate Google there is somebody who loves you http://members.microsoft.com/careers/default.mspx
Hope this helps, William

I suspect you are the vicitim of malware, or are a sour grape. I never get porn hits on Google when I use it. Ymmv, but a lot depends on how you structure your search terms.