Fluor. And Starting Problem

Hello,
Put ujp a light in my shop about 2 years ago. Two bulb Fluor. fixture from HD. Wasn't all that expensive, but not the cheapest either, if I remember right.
Anyway, from the get-go, it would only start about once in three tries. Then, finally it would after repeated on-offs with the switch.
Driving me crazy.
Would like to replace it with one that will "always" start.
I see that HD and Lowes now offer several types of ballasts, electronic ignition starters, etc.
Very confusing, and their salesperson's don't know anything about this.
What's the best bet to get ? Particular Models, HD or Lowe's, etc. ?
Any suggestions and opinions on this would be most appreciated.
Thanks, Bob

Some of them work better if they are well grounded.
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 11:27:59 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc

Big question...Is the light grounded properly?
Sorry I did not answer your question!
Hi,
Thanks for help.
I believe the grounding is correct.
Green wire to fixture frame,and then back to box.
On 8/26/2010 2:29 PM, Thomas wrote:

Bob wrote:

Okay, I'll play. Is the BOX grounded?
Florescent lights need a good ground to provide magnetic flux this close to the galactic core.

Won't start reliably without a good ground.

Used HD's cold start 8" duals in our shop/garage a few years ago. At that time they were about $60 ea. bare. Never a moments problem with them, terrific light output. Highly recommended.
Joe

Oops. meant 8' duals..sorry.
Joe