Flow Check Valve in Sump = Clogging Sump?

My sump motor started running forever ; it turns out that the flow check valve I put in prevented the backwash that kept the intake screen clear, so it was finally unable to suck in any water.

Is there a compromise flow check valve, that lets a little backwash happen when the motor shuts down, but not much?

Reply to
Ron Hardin

Put in the type of valve that mounts inline with the outlet pipe instead of the type that screws into the pump base, and mount it a foot or two above the pump. Drill a small (1/8") hole in the pipe right below the valve. The small hole won't matter when the pump is running, but will allow the short column of water to under the valve to drain back out when the pump stops.

This is a compromise, since if too much water drains back into the sump, it will cause the pump to run again too soon, but 1 or 2 feet should be OK.

You might also consider raising the pump up an inch or two by setting it on some bricks. This will allow room for gunk to accumulate for a while without plugging the pump. Clean the gunk out periodically before it accumulates to the level of the pump inlet.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Good idea, I'll do that. The hole needn't be near the valve, just not to high above the sump pump, so long as the valve is higher (easiest to install where the pipe couples already, by the ceiling and wall). I have to arrange that the induced stream hits the side of the sump well, and that the spash doesn't hit my flood alarm sensor, I guess. Should be easy.

Reply to
Ron Hardin

Advice to the next guy to drill a 1/8" hole in the pipe, don't angle it upwards (say the cordless drill doesn't _quite_ fit in the well and so you angle it a bit upwards). You get quite a stream of water when the sump comes on, and it follows the angle that the drill made very exactly. Even though it's easier than taking the pump out of the well.

A downward ricochet off the far well wall would have been nicer than an upwards one.

Reply to
Ron Hardin

Not very elegant, but just hang a towel or similar so it drapes over the hole. It will corral all the jet. More 'non-redneck' would be to put a collar around the pipe so it directs the jet straight down.

Harry K

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K