Flourescent shop lights

I have a few older T8 4ft shop lights that wont light up until I turn the bulbs a bit, do I have a bad connection at the pins or am I doing something inside the light, the bulbs are old but this happens on a few of my lights.
ransley wrote:

Could be the static touch that's helps it start.
    I will vote for a little corrusion on the sockets that hold the pins. Contact cleaner and protectant would help out. Second guess would be a poor ground. It can mimic the same problems.
On some of these, the wires are stripped, then "pushed into" the socket and held there by the spring force of a piece of metal inside the socket. Sort of like how you can push an electrical wire into the back of an electrical outlet.
Anyway those wires can be loose. Try disconnecting power, removing the bulbs and cover, then try pulling each of the wires going into each socket. There may be a loose one. If a wire comes loose, try pushing it all the way back in.
Also examine each socket to be sure there are no cracks in the plastic. If there are, get another socket.
"ransley" wrote in message

ransley wrote:

If they're quick-start, check for good ground connection. If in dusty shop environment, blow accumulated dust off and out of tube holders; can build up leakage paths and poor connections.

make certain they are properly gounded

Keep our beloved leader's stimulus plan going! Buy new lamps and fixtures. You can even find some made in Illinois.
Joe
ransley wrote:

I've always had that trouble with F40 T12s after a few years of service. I think the silocone coating goes bad. Washing the bulbs helps.
ransley wrote:

What's the ambient temperature when you turn on the lights? Here at the crotchety old fart's lair, we have a dual tube fixture over the bathroom mirror that misbehaves at temperatures in the 60's.
TDD