flourescent lights hung under copper water pipes

Hi, I am trying to brighten up the laundry room by hanging those inexpensive flourescent tube lights. One of the areas would require it to be hung under the copper water pipes to the house. Bbad idea or will it matter?

thanks!

Reply to
nalhome

Fine, just don't bump your head

Reply to
RBM

Partly bad idea. It is the "inexpensive" part that is bad. Those inexpensive lights are poorly made and give a lot of trouble. Get some good ones. They will work better and longer. Well worth the difference.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I don't see any problem with mounting them under copper pipes there's all kinds of pipes mounted over the lights in T-bar ceilings in buildings. They don't put out very much heat, chances of a pipe failure are rare. Also as mentioned Buy a decent light I bought these at Lowes

cost about 20 dollars they always light even in the freezing cold I use the T-8 bulbs ( skinning ones) Half my garage is some old ones with big ballast in them they just flicker for a while the others just light right up.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Are you going to hang the lights from the pipes?

If not, I don't object.

Reply to
mm

Won't matter, depending on the copper pipe supports and the light structure. The tube, if bare, should have something above it (foil) to avoid condensation water dropping on the tube. A fixture with a cover would be ok. Put another pipe support between the two hangers of the fixture if there are not pipe supports within 5 feet of each hanger.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

yep, I really hate those stupid little under counter lights made by Lights of America. Just had to replace one for the 3rd time (in 30 years) and the damn things had increased in price from $6 in the 90's to $8. A real pisser, I should have bought a $40 back originally. Wonder what the replacement bulbs and the replacement covers (going from white to yellow) would have added to the cost?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Do you get condensation on the pipes - i.e. do they sweat? Any dripping water from the condensation might not mix well with that electricity stuff that the lamps use.

If you have concerns, wrap the pipes with the type of insulation that is made to prevent condensation. Better safe than sorry.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
DerbyDad03

HD has them cheaper. $9 for light and $6 for bulbs. I've used them for years in two houses and no problems

Sacramento Dave wrote:

cost about 20 dollars they always light even in the freezing cold I use the

Reply to
bigjim

Yeah, Meehan is an idiot. Spend a couple of thousand on the lights and a couple of thousand on hiring an electrican to install it.

geesh!!!

Reply to
DK

Apparently you have not read all the messages about those cheap lights. They are especially troublesome in a damp environment as the sockets are not as secure nor as corrosive resistant.

BTW Where did the electrician issue come from?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks for all the advice. Actually, I put up the work lights that are very similar to what was suggested from Lowes.

I'll keep an eye on the pipes for sweat, for I don't really know at this point; I've only lived in the house for 6 weeks.

Reply to
nalhome