flourescent light problem

I have four 2-tube, 40-watt , 48" flourescent light fixtures in my basement. One of them began to dim and flicker and then totally died. Replacing the tubes did not work. I then replaced the balast. Worked like new, but only for a couple days. Now it is dim and doing that sort of wavy snake thing. Any idea what could be causing this? The balast is properly matched to the fixture and tube. It is properly grounded. The tubes are brand new and were replaced with the balast.

Might be defective
You could have missed something, like not matching the wiring up right.
DM wrote:

1. Bad contacts for the lamps 2. Wrong lamps for the type of ballast 3. Bad ground 4. Wiring problem
I put them in order. I suspect that it is #1. Try removing and replacing the lamps a few times. If it starts working again, it is time to replace the sockets or the whole fixture. Try to get good quality sockets that can handle the moisture. Consider a new high quality fixture using T-8 lamps for more light less electricity and longer life.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Unfortunately, new but defective ballasts are not uncommon. Return the one you bought and pick another.