Flourescent light problem

In my bedroom I have a standard 12" flourescent light. During warm and mild weather it works normally. During cold weather, when I turn it on, it glows dimly but won't light until I turn the switch off and on a few times. When I get up in the morning it lights normally. After that it acts up all day. ??????
---MIKE---

>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')
---MIKE--- wrote:

Have you tried a new bulb yet?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 19:35:32 -0400, Jeff Wisnia

That's how I fixed one that an electrician couldn't fix, even after replacing the switch.

Mark Lloyd
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:55:32 -0500, ---MIKE--- wrote:

I do believe that there are lamps designed for cold weather.
It has nothing to do with the lamps....its the ballast that doesn't like cold. Change to a fixture with electronic ballast and T-8 lamps.

curmudgeon wrote:

Since a traditional magnetic ballast is is just a transformer/inductor, I'd like to hear why you believe that cold affects their performance.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

The tube is cold, resulting in lower vapour pressure, making it harder to start.
Electronic ballasts can get around this by putting more power into the tube when it's being started, then easing off once the tube hits normal operating condition.
As you say, magnetic ballasts are pretty basic, so they can't vary their output.
Chris

Actually there are special magnetic ballasts made for low-temperature operation. Google "low temperature ballast" (with the quotes) and you'll get a ton of information.
Eric Law