Flourescent flicker?

Page 1 of 2
My two-tube flourescent fixture in my office has started flickering. Mild so far - every 10 - 15 minutes. Keeps making me think it's a power failure though. Bulbs still look ok. Anything I can do?
TIA
On 12/23/2014 12:53 PM, KenK wrote:

Visit Bermuda, off season. Fewer tourists.
KenK wrote:

Tubes could be getting older which need replacing or ballast is going bad. Wiggle the tubes back and forth to renew the contacts.
On 12/23/2014 12:53 PM, KenK wrote:

Looks are deceiving. Do the bulbs have black ends? Even a little is an indication of a near death. Replace the bulbs. If they still flicker, it's the ballast. If the bulbs/fixture is a T-12, consider going to T-8.
Meanie wrote:

Hi, I even saw a perfectly good looking bad tube(no sign of dark ring at either end of tube). Our store has whole bunch of 4 tube fixtures.
On 12/23/2014 11:53 AM, KenK wrote:

Do what I did:
Replace the ballast and tubes with the now current"green" technology.
I also went to full spectrum lighting.
The upgrade was not expensive and the lighting is excellent.

You probably spent more time posting this message than it would have taken to install some new bulbs. Just buy some bulbs. If tht dont solve the problem, you'll need the bulbs eventually. If new bulbs dont fix it, get a new ballast.
KenK,
These are in your office so mention them to the clean up staff or building maintenance. These folks will probably know where the bulbs are kept and have a ladder
Dave M.

I avoid "green" technology like the plague. When you go green you're almost invariably giving up something. I'm not willing to do it. (Screw the environmentalists, better yet hunt them down as you would any other rabid animal.)
On 12/24/2014 11:23 AM, Roger Blake wrote:

It's your money. To each his own.

Unfortunately, the soi disant "Roger Blake" is a zealot advocating murder and thus deserves no attention, just help.

Looking at them a bit closer I see one does. On one end.

remember. Maybe just leave them flicker (which they aren't doing today. Probably read your post.)

On 12/24/2014 12:34 PM, KenK wrote:

That's all it needs and both lamps will be affected.

Don't invite any epileptics over for the holidays.
It's easier than changing a ballast. I don't see the awkwardness....1/4 turn and pull straight down. Some also have straight connectors where they require a simple push to snap in.
On 12/24/2014 2:48 PM, Meanie wrote:

Epis, or OCD folks. You know you've got an OCD in your family when all the dark end tubes get changed, the telephone cord is hanging perfectly straight off the hand set, and the toilet paper feeds off the correct side of the roll.
If your epi also has OCD, it's wise to have a couple "trampoline spotters" as they go up the ladder. And come down, thrashing about.
On 12/24/2014 12:34 PM, KenK wrote:

I've found that if the ends (about an inch from the end) is has a dark stripe, that's often a sign of a bad one.
You're right there is a "touch" to replacing those. I've learned to use a sharpie, and mark the side of the bulb where the pins are. Helps me line up the pins and the socket.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Home office. I'm the maintenance staff.

You mean like Maurice Strong (founder of the UN Environment Program) who stated "Isn't the only hope for the planet that the industrialized civilizations collapse? Isn't it our responsiblity to bring that about?" How many is he advocating the murder of?
Or perhaps you refer to the millions who still die every year from malaria due to the hatchet job on DDT done by the EPA, courtesy of Ms. Rachel Carson's fear mongering.
As I said, declare open season and hunt 'em down like rabid animals.

Thanks! That's a really good tip.
On 12/25/2014 12:24 PM, KenK wrote:

Wow, I'll consider that nomination for AHR tip of the month award. Will expect to hear from the judges panel by 5th of Jan.

A sure winner!