Flour & cement powder rat poison - queries (2023 Update)

I've recently come across some articles that mention you can make your own "non-toxic" rat/mouse posion by making a 50:50 mixture of regular/ corn flour and cement powder. They eat the mixture, then go in search of water. Once they drink some water....game over. I have a few specific questions, in relation to this D.I.Y. rat poison.

- How effective is this mixture at killing rats and/or mice?

- Assuming you place this mixture indoors (e.g. in the roof space), will this poison ONLY take effect once the rodent goes outside for a drink of water? The reason being, I'd want to avoid at-all-costs having Ratty "snuff it" in my roof space, then having the most God- awful smell to contend with a few days later.

- Is there anything that can be added to this mixture that would make it extremely enticing to rats and/or mice? e.g. Powdered parmesan cheese, sugar, salt, a little soy/fish sauce, some type of finely chopped meat (raw or cooked)? I am just taking a wild guess here, as I don't know what would attract them.

- Most of all, would tile grouting powder, used for bathroom tiling, work just as well as cement powder in this D.I.Y. mixture?

I really would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Reply to
Gas Bag

Never heard that one. But any bait poison runs the risk of the animal dying somewhere in your house. In 99% of the cases the carcase just dries up. Or flys find it and it gets eaten by maggots.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I agree. You take a chance with poison baits in the house. After getting one bad stink a couple of years ago from a poisoned mouse, I now use traps only.

I don't know about flour/cement but rats do not have a throwing up reflex and once they eat something, it has to pass through their digestive system where it may kill them.

Reply to
Frank

If you have rodents in your attic then you are very remiss in sealing their entry to your house... believe it or not it is quite easy to eliminate entryways. Seal your house and if rodents are still present set traps... they obviously have free roam of your entire house because rodents cannot live without food and water... also eliminate their access to your food... you are definitely feeding those critters or they'd not be there.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Yep. I find that D-Con works wonders and the animals don't smell for some reason. I keep a bait box with it in the basement and find and occasional dead mouse - never smelled one for many a year now.

The 'flour/cement' is an oldy home recipe. Just as enticing to pets as it is to rodents. Needs to be in places the pets can't get to just like any commercial poison.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

An overdose of vitamin D will kill them, use that.

Reply to
LSMFT

Then if it worked why wouldnt someone be selling it. My dogs wont eat cement I dont think a rat will. I use poison inside, traps are a pain. The smell of a dead mose is gone in a week and so are all the mice. With traps its a constant battle you dont know if you ever win. Do both, traps and poison

Reply to
ransley

Be careful of where you put the poison. I lost 2 cats last year to poisoning, cats that were encouraged by neighbors, because they were "mousers".

Reply to
Billy

Why did you put your cats outdoors, you ignorant POS... you need to be poisoned... actually I'd be happy to tie you into a sack with a few bricks and toss you into a lake.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Why would you keep your cats locked up inside?

Animal cruelty.

Reply to
jellybean stonerfish

Keeps them clean and free of burrs, ticks, and fleas. Keeps them from getting killed by cars, dogs, or cat haters, or being carried away by hawks.

Reply to
willshak

Maybe it's D-CONcrete in it dat kills 'em!

Reply to
Bob Villa

A quick snap of the neck seems more humane to me.

Reply to
Colbyt

I've thought about it, but the little rat keeps running away ;O)

Reply to
Billy

Time to bring the cats back into the thread....

Reply to
jellybean stonerfish

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 19:53:37 -0500, aemeijers wrote Re Re: Flour & cement powder rat poison - queries:

Well said.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Being "humane" is the reason I will never, ever use a 'glue trap' again. One time was enough to turn my stomach.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

You should see what a rat trap does to a mouse. The look on the face of the little mouse conveys extreme surprise and shocked disbelief after the bar crushes its little backside. The last ultrasonic squeak of WTF in mouse-speak is frozen in its tiny countenance forever or until it is consumed by other smaller vermin or it desiccates and eventually turns to dust. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Quite a lot of replies, but I am hoping someone can actually respond specifically to my queries. Where I may place a flour/cement mix, there would be no other animals, only rats or mice. Totally sealing up the roofspace 100% is not a viable option at the moment.

Reply to
Gas Bag

Why not?

Reply to