Flooring Strips and Reducers

Of all the transitions from 5/16" flooring to vinyl my house has, two of them will require joining the strips perpendicular to the reducer strips

can I do this with excellent finish?

I was thinking about laying the strips 1/2" longer than they'll need to be than get a power saw to trim them to length, even as between the door jambs I'll need to trim the last bits manually. Is this a good approach?

Advice welcome.

TIA

Reply to
Augustine

We had hardwood put in a couple of years ago. We didn't need reducers because we went with ceramic tile at the transitions.

I'm sure this must be a common thing. In our house, one transition was at a 45 degree angle (even worse than perpendicular!). The tile hadn't been laid at this point. The installers had a tool to cut away the trim around doors,etc. to the correct height. I didn't see them do it, but I imagine they used a similar tool at the 45 degree transition; they certainly didn't pre-cut the boards to fit. I don't think they had room to use a circular saw in the area, so probably a smaller tool was used.

To finish off, they cut a strip about 1/2" wide and tacked it into place. I was very impressed with the end result...we had given no direction to the installers, but the transition looked as though it were factory made. This was all done with a dark stained oak.

Probably doesn't help you much...I guess I should have paid more attention to what the installers were doing! At least you know that the 'professionals' are quite capable of getting it done the way you would like it!

August> Of all the transitions from 5/16" flooring to vinyl my house has, two

Reply to
dave_bonnell