Flooring installation order?

We're installing new wood, tile, and carpet. In what order should we have the work done?

The wood is going into the family room and dining room on the first floor. The tile is going into the foyer, and carpet on the stairs to the 2nd floor. So, on the first floor, left to right: wood, tile, wood. Carpet ascending stairs off the tile.

Any best order to protect the surfaces as the next one is installed?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike Reed

buffalo ny: thoughts: clear drop cloths to hang in every doorway. janitor mats. first you paint the ceilings, then the walls. then you beg the workers to show up at all, and they must clean up after their portions of the work. probably save the carpet for last so tracking any of the other projects into the new fiber is minimized. i might think about making a mess in this order: paint drips, wood sawdust, wood finish coat, tile glue, carpet trimmings. but you hold another key to this puzzle because they may be adjacent and need connecting strips. and pre-finished wood floors are less messy in the finish department. and tile may involve a simple underlayment or complicated floor leveling compound. if the house is vacant and it's summer vacation, all this works very well. in heating season you may tracking in and out of every habitable area and to the bathroom, give or take pathways by children and pets.

Reply to
buffalobill

Carpet is the least messy and I'd do that last. Since the tile is only in the foyer, it may not matter much but you do want the floor to have a finish on it so that any tile adhesive will clean up easily should it get on the wood.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski