flooring for garage....school hallways...

I am trying to find the best solution to cover my garage floor. I have thought of everything. Today i was thinking about about the garage flooring they use in grade schools. THey were super durable and huge tiles or sections with that infamous silver line that we all had to follow.
Any one tried this stuff or know where to get it. IM not even sure what it is made out of but it is some tough stuff.

It could be that you are thinking about Terrazzo flooring. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrazzo
No wrote:

Yes, this is the stuff of 50s and 60s school house memories.
Wiki says very very tough material, extremely resistant to water.
However, in garages, we have oil, grease, fuel, and acid drips from our vehicles. To keep this surface looking GREAT, we will need to wash it down nearly every day when the vehicles leave the garage.
It is NOT cheap to install as it is a LABOR intensive process.
There was a scene in Transporter where the floor of the garage was covered in a waffle textured dark green grid that appeared to be 2 to 3 inches deep. It would stay cleaner than most other floor treatements and if the material selected was not reactive to automotive fluids, it would stay neat for a LONG time.
No wrote:

Reading at www.nmta.com, Yes Terrazzo using epoxy or acrylic resins to embed marble or other aggregate stones is oil, water, and acid spill resistant. Recommended for hospitals, laboratories, and manufacturing areas.
If you can afford it, looks like terrazzo is a GO
Probably asbestos. I doubt you can get it any longer. Read some of these:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/search?group=rec.woodworking&q=garage+floor+paint&qt_g=1
scale wrote:

I suspect you are talking about terrazzo. Nice stuff, not expensive for large areas, but it is not oil resistant (It will become stained) and it tends to become very slippery when oil covered.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Slippery with oil, slippery with water. slippery with any liquid on it as it is a HIGHLY polished surface.

Poured epoxy, with quartz-sand or other additives for color and texture. Something like this:
http://www.highperformanceformulas.com/quartz-dek.html
Robert Gammon wrote:

..
Right. However I have found that it is slippery with water or oil, but when you put water over the oil it is impossible.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Probably fun to watch, though.