flooring dilemma????????????

we have a 3rd fl apt near the beach in san diego, ca and a cement subfloor. we want to put wood?laminate?bamboo?engineered? in our entree, very small kitchen (3x6) and liv&dine area (300 sf). total area is 400sf. our contractor is installing new cabinets in our kitchen and has already priced in $1700 to "install new flooring" (we supply the floor). we have two kids (4&1) and let friends with kids use our apt occasionally. what would you install?? please help.
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
I was recently at a home show and saw, for the first time, bamboo flooring. Allegedly it's cheaper and more sturdy than maple & oak flooring...worth checking into.