Floor underlayment

I have an interior apartment hallway I am putting down commercial grade vinyl tile, the old vinyl lasted 50 years, it was glued down with an oil base over a painted floor so snow, excessive water from washing did not affect it or the subfloor or the glue bond. The contractor wants to use Luan as an underlayment but even if it is sealed with a primer I think it might not be right. What is the right way to do this so it lasts,

Thanks, thats what I thought, so you think Luan is a road to failure?
Red Green wrote:

Whether or not lauan would be suitable for OP's purpose I can't say but I can say that moisture does not deterioate it any more than it would most any other wood. My sailboat had hatches and skylights made of lauan lumber, NP for the 20 years I owned it. Marine lauan ply is also available, generally using meranti but other species too.
--

dadiOH

And waterproof glue luan underlayment IS available (or at least HAS BEEN available, and stands up very well. This was not marine grade - bur was waterproof glue.