Floor ubderlayment

My family and I will be having vinyl sheet flooring put in by an installer but we will put the 1/4 inch underlayment down ourselves. I do not know which would method of installation would be better. Should I use staples with an air gun, or ring shank nails, or should I screw the underlayment to the 3/4 inch sub-floor? What spacing along the edges of seams, and in the rest of the sheet should I use? Should I butt the sheets together leaving a small gap around the wall edges? Should I leave a small gap between the sheets and use a leveling compound? Thanks for any advice you can give me. Larry

The guys that did out kitchen used staples with an air gun. Butted the seams together.
Considering the cost, it was just a lot easier to let them do the work. If something goes wrong later, they are responsible, not me.
Good advice Ed. Vinyl flooring needs to be laid on a perfectly flat surface. Staples, nails, screws, uneven sub floor or butted joints in the sub floor has a way of showing up a week after the job is done. If these guys screw it up, they can also come back to fix it. For what it's worth let these guys install it.