Floor tile problem

12 inch ceramic tile over a concrete slab in a 7 year home, yesterday two tile popped up and later during the day four more popped up, all joining each other. Tapping around the area I cleaned up it appears more will be pulling loose, Two of the tile broke during their popping. I don't see any hairline cracks in the foundation.I live in Central Ca. but we haven't had any earth quakes to contribute it to and neighbors haven't had the problem. Any ideas why before I try to get a pro out to look. I have a few extra tile just in case the problem doesn't extend further. Thanks Charlie
Charlie wrote:

How well and with what were they fastened down? Thinset under all the tile? Did it release from tile or slab?
-- dadiOH ____________________________
dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Was the concrete painted or covered with something before? Did you prep the concrete? A lot of people say you do not have to. I do and have never had a loose tile.
Did you use thinset?

I am the second owner and it was built by a local contractor so I'm not famaliar with what was used, the slab does not appear to have been painted and the mastic or what ever was used to apply the tile is a hard white coating and I would say about half is stuck to the floor and the same to the tile in patches. I don't know what thinset is. Thanks

Charlie wrote:

With conditions in your area, the usual inherent problems that may cause a bond to fail are cracking of the slab and/ or hydrostatic pressure i.e. excessive moisture in the slab due to hardpan underneath. In some Central CA areas particularly on the west side of the valley ground movement is common which causes slab movement.
Installation factors could be another reason. Tap the remaining tiles to see of the sound hollow or solid. You could replace the whole floor at this time or just remove the loose ones, scrape the t/s off of the floor and tile back and reset.
The web is full of articles about thinset. There are a number of tile supply stores in your area as well that can provide help.
"Charlie"

I would venture to say that the problem is the wrong adhesive was used. The adhesive should of been thinset (which resembles concrete) If there were any cracks in your floor, usually the tile cracks with it and does not lift. Tap all the tiles and pop up any of those that sound hollow, and buy some thinset and replace them, hopefully the others will be fine...but I bet you end up replacing the entire floor.
Glenn

You are probably right. Since my original post I have talked to a local tile store and that is their thoughts from my description, I have tapped the tiles at the suggestion of another response and and found quite a few hollow sounding tiles through out app. 600 sq. ft. so i'm prepared for the worse and going to call a contractor in.

"You are probably right. Since my original post I have talked to a local tile store and that is their thoughts from my description, I have tapped the
tiles at the suggestion of another response and and found quite a few hollow sounding tiles through out app. 600 sq. ft. so i'm prepared for the worse and going to call a contractor in. "
Assuming that's the only issue, it doesn't explain how after 7 years, so many suddenly come loose in one or two days. This typically would happen with them slowly cracking or coming loose over a longer period. I think some kind of earth/foundation movement occurred and the installation could be a contributing factor.