Floor tile material calc

Greetings...
I know 12x12 tiles is the nominal size. The actual may be 11 7/8". But there is usually some width for grout between the tiles. With these two factors combined, how does one figure out the number of tiles needed? For example, I have a room of exactly 6' x 10'. 60 tiles enough?
Thanks.

What ya gonna do if any are broken or chipped in the box? How about down the road if you need any for repairs? Square footage on the box is usually includes the grout joint...

or you drop a jar of pickles 17 years from now, crack a tile, and they don't make those tiles anymore?
save the extras. the next guy to buy your house will thank you.
I know I need to keep a few extra in case repair is needed but I was asking when I figure out the number of 12x12 tiles for certain square footage, is it just one tile for each SF?
Bob

As a general rule always buy 110% of the actual measurement to allow for waste, a miscut, a defective tile, or future replacement. If I had a 6 x 10 room to do I would buy 70 square foot (usually 10 per box for ceramic) and usually only sold by the box.
Colbyt
Probably I didn't make my original post clear enough. I do want keep a few extra tiles but I wanted to find on top of what to add these few extra. For the exactly 6' x 10', if 60 tiles is just enough to cover the floor, like you said I will add one more box for miscut, spare etc etc. But if the 12x12 is just a nominoal size and the actual size is smaller as such I would need 7 x 11 tiles to cover the floor then I would need to add more for spare on top of 77.
I want to know the base quatitiy: 60 or 77 tiles.
Thank you
Bob

correctly. If the noninal size is 11 3/4 or more you can get away with 60. You will have full tile all around. If they are smaller you will need 77 and have to center the floor. In this case the cuts will be just a bit bigger than a half tile. Be sure to check your room for square. If it is out of square to any degree it would mess up the whole tile layout.
calculator here should give you an answer
http://www.daltileproducts.com/catalog.cfm?cat=2 #
go to design tools and follow the instructions it will also tell you thinset and grout estimates.
for odd tiles go here
http://www.diynot.com/pages/fs/fs022.php
Wayne

Pardon the top posting (done for clarity).
I am not a tile expert but my experience is that most 12" tiles measure 11.75 min to 11.875 max. Refer to the box for the tile you are considering in case there is a difference. The square footage represented on the box includes grout joints on all the tile I have used. I like smaller grout joints (1/4" max) so if you are buying one that is cheating with the 11.75" measurement you may have big joints or a lot of waste. This might be a problem with some of the imported stuff. To get the final answer you are going to have to do your own homework. Take your tape and measure the tile you are considering.
Then you have to factor in the squatness of the room involved. They never are. You don't want silvers on the edges. You might waste some here also, as much as a full tile times the length and/or width. Again you are going to have to do your own homework. Hint: You can cut some paper squares the size of your tile and 1/2 a grout joint on all sides and lay it out on the floor before you buy.
Unless you are dealing with a special order, close out, or non returnable product, just buy plenty and take the full boxes back after the install. This will say you a lot of needless worry.
Colbyt

On 1/10/2005 7:22 PM US(ET), Bob took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

If you are going to butt the tiles edge to edge without allowing for at least 1/8" grout, then you will need 68 tiles. 60 full sized plus 15 pieces to cover the gaps at the wall. You can get 15 pieces from 8 tiles.

--
Bill

On 1/10/2005 7:22 PM US(ET), Bob took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

If you are going to butt the tiles edge to edge without allowing for at least 1/8" grout, then you will need 68 tiles. 60 full sized plus 15 pieces to cover the gaps at the wall and one piece for the corner. You can get 16 pieces from 8 tiles.

--
Bill

On 1/11/2005 7:54 AM US(ET), willshak took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Make that 69 tiles. 60 full + 16 pieces for the sides (2 from each of 8 tiles) and 1 extra tile to cut the 2 sided piece for the corner. As far as I know, unless the tiles are a special order, you can return unused tiles for a refund, but like others said, you may want to keep a few spares..

--
Bill