Floor squeaking sound removal?

Hi there: Our house is about at least 60 years old. Now the wood floor starts have this squeaking sound whenever a foot lands on it. It getting more and more louder now and could any one tell me how to fix it or at least how to make it minimum. Thanks
If it just started, it is likely do to reduced humidity due to the heating season. A good whole house humidifier may take care of it, but it also could create other problems in a home that old.
Is it a hardwood floor? Sometimes talcum powder in the cracks will help.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
We had a creak in the floor just outside the master bedroom. Our floor was carpet on plywood. As it turned out there was a nail from the bathroom wall through the floor - when I stepped on the floor the nail (loose nail) would rub and make a creaking sound.
Someone on this group suggested that I shove some glue covered shims under the wall to prop it up. I did this and it worked perfectly!!

Andrew wrote:

A couple of weeks ago on Ask This Old House they fixed a squeaking floor by driving some special screws into the floor to hold it down. The screws were built so that the head twisted off when the body of the screw was below the surface of the plank. They had a special collar that the screw was put down through that caused the break to happen at the right time. After they had all the screws in they filled the holes with a color matched filler crayon.
I don't know if this will work for your floor, but it did a good job on their old floor.
Bill Gill
On 13 Jan 2004 09:44:48 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@iname.com (Andrew) wrote:

Floors will squeak if they move. The question is, then, how to prevent this.
BJ http://www.soundproofing.org /