Floor squeak and joist bracing

My 40-yr-old home has an annoying squeaky spot under the carpet in one area. When I was in the crawlspace insulating the water pipes, I noticed a place in the same general area as the squeak where one cross-brace "leg" had become unattached from the joist. Could this be causing the squeak? If so, would just nailing it on again fix the squeak, or should I put some sort of shim between the floorboard and the joist first? Joists are 16" o.c., if that matters.
Thx.
Nail it and find out !!!!!

Axial wrote:

Yes, but I would screw it not nail it.
BTW, it that does not fix it, then I suggest getting some of the screws made for the use and then screwing through the carpet to tighten the sub-floor to the floor joist.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Adding glue to the screw also works wonders.