Floor Spongy under LINO

My neighbour's floor beside bathtub which feels soft under lino.

SMALL area affected. He is NOT a computer literate person & asked me to post this.

I cautioned him not to bath but to shower as I feel floor joists might be compromized. For pix of bathroom go to:

then click on photos.

I dont mind helping him fix it but does anyone have similar problem? What is best way to remedy rotten floor joists? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
karlletwin

Have to take up flooring, repair/replace affected areas.

It may well only be the subflooring but you'll never know until it's uncovered to find out how extensive the damage is.

If there's a crawl space, perhaps you could inspect from there.

--

Reply to
dpb

Yes, first thing to do is see if you can inspect it from underneath. That can give you an idea of the extent of the problem. If it's rotted under the tub, it's going to be an extensive and costly repair.

Reply to
trader4

OP-

How long as the floor felt spongy?

If just a few months or so....I'd venture a guess that the damage is minimal & confined to the subfloor material.

If you stop the water getting to the subfloor you might even be able to just let everything dry out.

I'm guessing lack of adequate caulking at the tub / floor interface and the fact that shower curtains don't work 100%.

The only way to know for sure (unless rot has gotten into the joists) is to take up the flooring & check everything out from above.

Inspection from the crawl space will allow you to see the condition of the joists (at least the sides & bottom of them) but not the upper surface of the subfloor.

If the rot / sponginess is confined to the subfloor material you won't see much from the crawlspace.

Bring an ice pick with you into the crawlspace to probe the members.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

It could be a night mare to fix, worst case even the tub is removed.

Reply to
ransley

How about a link to the photo of the bathroom floor? I'm not interested in checking out the "for sale" crap or waiting for a dozen photos of whatever to download.

Reply to
Norminn

It doesn't seem likely that one small area would be spongy if the joists were ready to collapse. Probably has rotted subfloor from water leaking under the lino. Does he have a basement?

I had similar problem in a rental home I lived in, but around the toilet. Landlord took up the toilet, replaced section of subfloor with plywood.

Reply to
Norminn

The best way to fix joists are to sister them and cut out any rot.

If the place is for sale, he needs to get some better photos and fix the fence. Showing three cars outside blocking the house is not very impressive to perspective buyers.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Norminn wrote in news:YMGdnQBg79bPdIXVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Yea, it started download real estate sale junk and I just cancelled it when the wood stove showed. Assumed it was spam in disguise.

Reply to
Red Green

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:xB9Sj.3252$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.net:

I went back and looked again letting it download. At least they all have plates on them.

"I have chosen not to use the services of a professional realtor."

Not hard to tell. Seller needs to learn a little about clutter. People can and should live any way they want but when you are showing a house to sell, you can't.

Nice bag of trash hanging on the doorknob there. Must be a reminder.

Reply to
Red Green