Floor on top of floor

Hi,
I'm redoing my kitchen and am presently working on the floor. I thought I had one floor of tile on a mud bed. Instead I found tile, linoleum, press down floor tile, 1/4" press board and 3/4" press board and under all that are floor boards. My plan is to pull up the rest of the floor (I already pulled up the tile and mud job) and lay down plywood and hardiboard so I can lay down marble tile.
Questions:
Should I use 1/2" ply or 3/4"?
Can I get away with 1/4" Hardiboard or should I use 1/2"?
Thanks
<< Should I use 1/2" ply or 3/4"? Can I get away with 1/4" Hardiboard or should I use 1/2"? >>
Depends on if you're going to live in the house or peddle it. Check NG archives re: Hardiboard. Some negative comments turned up lately IIRC.
Joe