Floor Nailers

What is the better floor nailer for hardwood tongue and groove floor installations? Staple type or cleat type? I have been warned that the staple type will loosen over time and cause squeaky floors, but not the cleat type - anyone experience this? With the cleat type, are they hard to remove if a mistake was made? Thanks, hd.

Reply to
henry

Remove? hehehe :)

If doing it manually (vs air) use the PortaNailer *NOT* the Bostich!!

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

snipped-for-privacy@telus.net (henry) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Last I heard, a study had been done that showed the staples have superior holding power initially, but the *good* cleats hold better long term.

Some of the cheaper asian-made cleats have very little shank ridging, which is what gives it its holding power, like a ring shank nail. The best, last time I looked was in the balck and white box(I cant think of the name right now) The Canadian nailer company was not as good. Sorry, the names are not coming out. you may not have much choice if you are using rental nailers, they are often the T-style and there are few manufactureres. Cleats can be pulled after a good initial jolt. An apprentices best friend is a pair of dikes(sharp crimping toll).

tweaked

they are easily removed by ripping the whole board up and replacing it

Reply to
Mike