Floor Levelling

I'm about to start refitting my kitchen and want to renew the floor

Currently this has ceramic tiles fitted but they are uneven in places I'd like to replace with new tiles or a laminate and want to start wit a flat surface. Reading threads here self-levelling compound is the wa to go but do I need to pull up the old tiles or can I use the compoun over the old ones? The house is an old cottage and as floor levels var room to room there won't be a problem with level changes between th rooms.

Anyone used self-levelling compond over tiles? If so do I need t prepare the surface in any special way?

Many thank

-- Tony 9-5

Reply to
Tony 9-5

The concern any time you go over an existing surface is the quality of the original install. If you bond to the original Formica, as an example, and the original Formica pops loose, then your new surface fails. I am not aware of any particular problems about using self leveling floorstone over existing tile, but again, if the original fails you will lose them both. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

Also keep in mind that self levelling compound requires a minimum thickness and this may raise your floor level much more than you want. Read the instructions on the bag before buying. If your existing floor tiles are glossy you may need to scratch up the surface in order to increase adhesion. Also any soap scum or other films must be removed until they are squeaky clean.

Reply to
EXT